Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female attire at mosque for Christian guest

• 12-08-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone
    I am attending a wedding ceremony in a mosque in England next week (straight after the registry office ceremony). I am not muslim myself and am not sure of the rules of etiquette in a mosque. I am unsure as a female guest as to what would be appropriate dress. I basically don't want to cause offense by wearing something that would be considered immodest. I would appreciate an informed opinion on this. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

My take on it is headscarf and long sleeves, for the Mosque anyway. It'll vary from family to family what's suitable before or afterward. Muslim countries I've been too you see women dressed in everything from spice girls outfits to burkas. Also at home and in public is a different thing too with regard to fraternizing with the opposite sex. Carry a scarf and leave the miniskirt at home and you'll be fine.
    Don't forget it's England you'll be going to not Afganistan;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

Thanks for the advice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

How did it go, Miss_Moneypenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

It went ok thanks. I wore a dress with longish sleeves, took off my shoes and put a scarf on my head when I was walking through the mosque. There were other non - Muslim guests there and one of them asked the mother of the bride did we need to cover our heads (all the Muslim women were) and she said to cover your shoulders would be enough. A lot of them didn't cover their heads. When I got to the viewing gallery (men at prayer) I took the veil off. I have to say that the people at the mosque were very hospitable and gave us a tour of the mosque. It was the first time I have ever been in one so it was interesting to see. I had a choice of going to the women's prayer hall or watching the "wedding part" taking part in the men's prayer hall from the viewing gallery.

Advertisement