Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with a old Nissan Sunny?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have been given the job of getting a new car for a relative, they currently have a 1996 Nissan Sunny Saloon, petrol 1.4 with 138K miles, mechanically OK, but cosmetically could do with some attention, lacquer on paint in broken in several places etc. Been offered zero as a trade in, but "they'll take it off my hands" from a few places. Any ideas on if its worth selling privately and for how much? Car dismantlers aren't interested, is there a scrap metal value and if so where do I go with it?

NCT until May 09, regularly serviced but no paperwork to prove it.

Any advice appreciated, unless it includes a can of petrol and a firey rag :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Id say the more fun and entertaining side of a can of petrol! :D (messing)
    Id imagine there is a tough market for the people who have held onto cars like this until the end of there life! They'll get very little in return.

The question is does anybody do scrappage deals anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Windsor are advertising something they claim to be a scrappage deal - if it actually is scrappage rather than tradein I don't know, only heard the radio ads - Nissans aren't my thing and Windsors fleeting entry in to selling Fiat's ended a while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Throw it up on carzone, someone will buy it for a couple of hundred, especially with the current NCT.
    Seen loads of immigrants in the Sunny's, they're invinsible machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

offer €50 if it's driving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Get a JCB. Dig a big hole.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm having the same problem. My first car was a 1995 Opel Corsa. Someone poured battery acid on the bonnet so the paint is melted off and it got broken into so the driver door doesn't close properly (it leaks at the top). It needs countless repairs and I have no idea what to do with. We're gonna chance our arm putting it on carzone as a 'project car' or a field car for a couple of hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Don't put it on carzone. Stick it in the buy and sell, that's free. You may not get the €30 back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

my first motor was a 95 Nissan sunny 1.4 and it was a solid car to learn in. As above, stick it in the buy and sell, cos its a perfect learner motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A car of this vintage is of no value as a trade in to you or a dealer so don't even bother introducing it as part of a deal on a new car.

Try advertising it on www.adverts.ie or buy n sell, both are free and you may get a couple of notes for it if it drives well. There are people out there who are happy with bangernomic motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

ye put it in
    adverts.ie
    carsireland.ie
    Buyandsell.ie will sell in buyandsell for 3-400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

A car that runs is always worth something. They might not be able to give you anything at the dealership, but someone will want it.

I agree that you should put an advert up and see what happens. I would ask more than you would like to get for it and then work your way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cionád wrote: »
    someone will buy it for a couple of hundred, especially with the current NCT.
    Seen loads of immigrants in the Sunny's, they're invinsible machines.

+1

Because of the NCT alone it should be worth a least a coupe of hundred. Don't pay for an ad though, use the free ad options like adverts.ie, buy&sell, etc. Ask for €495 and see what offers you'll get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Second the idea of putting it in the Buy and Sell. A Nissan with an NCT driving ok will be worth a couple of hundred quid to someone.

A couple of years ago my mother had the same situation with an '88 Micra. Had 6 months NCT left and was driving fine but cosmetically shabby. She thought we'd have to scrap it, as no garage would take it. Put in in the Buy and Sell for €400, phone was ringing off the hook with immigrants and eventually sold it for €300 two days later (those lads drive a hard bargain :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

I agree with previous posters. I sold a 96 mazda 323 in Jan for $950 was plagued with calls for days after (1 yr NCT left). If you're in the Cork area the Free ads in the Echo on Tues is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kevbielo

im buying one today... its a twin cam.
    should be good fun.
    hate all new carss.so boring. im not sayin that the sunny is nice but something like a 5 door 88 corrolla is a nice motor.any one agree?

Advertisement