Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GONG

Options
  • 12-08-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

im just curious to know how many gong fans may pass through this forum. im relativly new to thi great band but would love to hear from other fans. i guess this is a 'stand up and be counted' moment.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Hi I am a big fan too, especially the Radio Gnome trilogy. Steve Hillage is an amazing guitarist but as a group they have a great blend of eastern/jazz/space rock music. Very humourous too. You'd probably catch a fan or two over in the rock and metal forum where prog rock is definitely on the menu.

I am, you are, we are crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ensenata

Have a cup of teeeaaaa!
    Gong! :D

My favourite band, no band can come close to their sound and atmosphere.

If you like Gong, TS or any other person, listen to these:

Can ("Tago Mago" is REALLY good, find it better than some later Gong albums)
    Aphrodite's Child (their "666" is in the same style as Gong's Radio Gnome Trilogy)
    Steve Hillage (His first album is with all the original Gong-members except Daevid and Gilli)
    Gentle Giant (I love "Aquiring the taste")
    Kevin Ayers (Friend of Gong)
    Hatfield & the North (Also friends of Gong..)
    Caravan (ALSO friends of Gong)
    Soft Machine (Band before Gong, Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Kevin Ayers :P)

And any other offspring of Gong ofcourse. :)

What is everyone's favourite song btw?
    Mine is "You never Blow your trip forever" because of all the sounds of the Radio Gnome Trilogy in the end, it's CRAaazzY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Have never heard of the band, but I like the use of a gong at the start of a film, by a chap dressed like a Roman slave-driver - which you used to see now and again.

Thats a load of Rank.

Favourite Gong tune, there are many contenders but always had a soft spot for Selene on Camembert Electrique

Check out fish rising by steve hillage

There is a free mp3 stream player on the prog archives page with Solar Musick Suite on it, its fantastic

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4063

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Long-time Gong fan here.

and here's the flying teapot!

I was lucky enough.....and old enough..... to see them live at Stonehenge. It doesn't get much better than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Yep - another Gong fan here, especially Camembert Electrique - great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 user1986

Ensenata wrote: »
    If you like Gong, TS or any other person, listen to these:

Can ("Tago Mago" is REALLY good, find it better than some later Gong albums)
    Aphrodite's Child (their "666" is in the same style as Gong's Radio Gnome Trilogy)
    Steve Hillage (His first album is with all the original Gong-members except Daevid and Gilli)
    Gentle Giant (I love "Aquiring the taste")
    Kevin Ayers (Friend of Gong)
    Hatfield & the North (Also friends of Gong..)
    Caravan (ALSO friends of Gong)
    Soft Machine (Band before Gong, Caravan, Hatfield & the North and Kevin Ayers :P)

i have tago mago, listen to it quite a bit. soft machine and gentle giant are really cool.
    has anyone heard university of errors or acid mothers gong?

user1986 wrote: »
    i have tago mago, listen to it quite a bit. soft machine and gentle giant are really cool.

I have SEEN University of Errors here in Amsterdam, few months ago. Daevid is still amazing! :rolleyes:

Hey Gong Fans I have nominated Angel's Egg as album of the week on the Rock and Metal forum, lets get Gong on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

All i know about Gong.

We all know that Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells was the record that made Virgin Records successful - and this was neat as it was their first release with the catalogue number V2001.

Radio Gnome Invisible was the second release, V 2002

http://www.discogs.com/release/566436

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

user1986 wrote: »

I still haven't got the Acid Mothers Gong album but when Acid Mothers Temple played here a couple of weeks ago they did a ****ing humungous and amazing cover of "Master Builder". Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ah man, thanks for reminding us about this. Haven't listened to them in well over decade. The tapes are in a bin bag in the shed. I'm off to get stuff in modern format straight away. It's coming back now, Pot Head Pixies, Want a roofer? (she's not groovy) Tune in and turn off the TV.

Can't stay, gotta go do downloading n stuff.

(Have a thank you)

tricky D wrote: »
    Ah man, thanks for reminding us about this. Haven't listened to them in well over decade. The tapes are in a bin bag in the shed. I'm off to get stuff in modern format straight away. It's coming back now, Pot Head Pixies, Want a roofer? (she's not groovy) Tune in and turn off the TV.

Can't stay, gotta go do downloading n stuff.

(Have a thank you)

Have fun! (And a cup of tea!)

You got vinyl records of Gong?

Advertisement