Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Only Thing You Need To Know About UL Is...

• 12-08-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm doing a guide to UL for Ms Ed of An Focail, bluedolphin. And in my typical organised way I've decided to start it now, so that it'll be in at least by this day next week. Deadlines are only a rough guide anyway, aren't they bd? :pac:

So to *ahem* aid me in my research... ah who am I kidding, Im just a lazy ****e and I need ye all to bail me out on this one...

So, whats the one thing that above all others you would tell a firstie in Sept?

Would it be a gem like "The Stables is over there" or a more succinct "The best Guinness is in the sports bar".

Or my own "Register your modules asap lest the feckers scam you for a bady needed €30"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MaryI is that direction but our own nurses are over there ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The Only Thing You Need To Know About UL Is..

If you do business you will never know more than 10% of people in your class.
    The Lodge is a poor man's Coppers.
    Don't do business.
    24 hr. labs are good after a night on the tear.
    Play in one of the leagues on the Astroturf.
    Don't do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Don't do business.

So you don't like business then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Stuff like where to find a variety of different things e.g. Student Services, Med Centre, Counselliing Service (C Block somewhere). I think a lot of people would find that useful as it may not be covered by orientation guides or may be forgotten after orientation.

Locations of 24 hour labs and stuff like how/where to register your modules would also be useful. As for the humourous stuff I think Denis and bigkev have that covered.....perhaps a section on not barfing over balconies in Dromroe or pivoting over a wall getting sick after paying a visit to the Lodge :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

I'd tell them to definitely join a club or society that interests them, and to be sure to participate to make new friends and for the craic that's to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Get to know the Business class, there are lots of women in it :D

Do Business!!

But seriously, The Only Thing You Need To Know About UL Is

That its completely unlike secondary school and anything you have ever experienced previously, and that to make the most ofit dont be afraid to express yourself and do something. Dont mope about like I did for 3 years, and not witness much of what has gone on.

Live near but not with people you knew before college. Goes for any college really.

Get to know the barstaff in the college bars.

tell them you know us* [by us I mean Mossin...]

*tooling around on bebo/myspace/facebook on the college pcs while people have werk to do is deserving of a manslap. Keep that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

2nd post:
    kaimera wrote: »
    MaryI is that direction
    Wondered how long it would take for Mary I to be mentioned..

Though I must admit, I banked on Peteee to be the one to mention it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

That it has one of the best Rag Weeks! :D

And i didnt even go to college there! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

You should have a section on whats close to UL. Like Groody bar, the hurlers and the lodge. Champer, fine wines, chawkes. The 24hr shop, spar, tesco, the parkway and the other shops near it. Storm cinema with their student rate Monday-Thursday.

You could rate the nightspots in town.

Let them know that the 2 busses that go to UL every hour arrive within 5 minutes of eachother.

The Don wrote: »
    You should have a section on whats close to UL. Like Groody bar, the hurlers and the lodge. Champer, fine wines, chawkes. The 24hr shop, spar, tesco, the parkway and the other shops near it. Storm cinema with their student rate Monday-Thursday.

You could rate the nightspots in town.

Let them know that the 2 busses that go to UL every hour arrive within 5 minutes of eachother.

Where's the nearest Tesco if you dont have a car?

And after working in Storm you'd think you'd know there is a Student rate everyday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Mossin wrote: »

And after working in Storm you'd think you'd know there is a Student rate everyday :rolleyes:

The closest Tesco is in Roxborro I think, there's also one in Arthurs Quay if I remember correctly.

Superquinn and Dunnes are the nearest places (within walking distance) aside from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Just go to Lidl instead??

I agree with The Don, a good start.

WHat about a line or two on UL courses? I.e., HPSS= bunch of wasters etc, I think something along those lines was done in '03.
    How about a game? Guess the course by the clothes they're wearing :D

WHat about a line or two on UL courses? I.e., HPSS= bunch of wasters etc, I think something along those lines was done in '03.

it was actually.

Comp sys: equivalent of a hamsters caught in a lawnmower or summet similar.

Meant superquinn, my bad.

Its been a while. Thought they changed it?

Meant superquinn, my bad.

Its been a while. Thought they changed it?

They changed it to 7 days a week...:D

Maybe a section on places to look for a part time job would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

A section on the various IT aspects of college might prove usefull for 1st years. Public Folders, e-mail, Sulis, Student Records, Printing, Photocoyping, Wi-Fi locations etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The best toilets in the college (when I was there, some new fancy buildings may surpass these now) are in the basement of the library

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

These are all good ideas :)

I'll put up a post later on and ye can add some information to it, I'll put it into one coherent post and sticky it.

Peteee wrote: »
    These are all good ideas :)

I'll put up a post later on and ye can add some information to it, I'll put it into one coherent post and sticky it.
    or how about sticky poor csons thread and just use this one? :confused:

kaimera wrote: »
    or how about sticky poor csons thread and just use this one? :confused:

Because he wants to sticky one that he started himself.:pac:

Because he wants to sticky one that he started himself.:pac:
    e.thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Since guides get a bashing for not stewarding people away from Ulster Bank's competition, advise firsties to open an account with the 3 big banks to get everything that's free!

Most importantly

tell them they should write for An Focal!!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Since guides get a bashing for not stewarding people away from Ulster Bank's competition, advise firsties to open multiple accounts with the 3 big banks to get everything that's free!

Fixed that for you.

I still get 4 statements a year from BOI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

never go to the lodge unless your locked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

If you have a car invest in a steering wheel lock or a lock that goes around the gear stick and handbrake and don't leave valubles in it, even hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Vegeta wrote: »
    The best toilets in the college (when I was there, some new fancy buildings may surpass these now) are in the basement of the library

+1!!!!

Errr, Cson, will need this by Monday or over the weekend preferably. Going to the designer on Tuesday! Please and Thank you :)

Thinking of doing the course thing that was done in 03...sure no one around will remember it!! :D Keep the ideas coming people, always in need of input!!

This is where klong gets his public display of gratitude...I've shuffled him over to the Dark Side...thanks for contributing :) So...who's next?!

Oh and my own tip: the photocopier just inside the door of the photocopying room on the top floor of the library does double sided copying for the same price as one-sided. That was a gem that I told no one about for fear that they'd fix it. But I'll never have to photocopying to the same extent again. Unless I end up in the civil service in which case tax payers' money will be paying so I won't care anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Woo, praise indeed! I'll be in UL later in the month to collect my cookie/do repeats :D

Further contributions = more cookies :D

Advertisement