Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Only Thing You Need To Know About UL Is...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson if you want to lift anything from that UL network tutorial e.g. locations where wireless networking is available feel free to do so. Probably of no interest to anyone but ULs connection to Heanet has been upgraded to 1Gb/sec lately as Heanet did a major network upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

The most important one:

Tell them about the UL forum on boards.ie. Say that there's plenty of craic, advise and BULBs organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Looks like im going to UL guys, any chance of me getting accomodation on campus? I can be at the accomodatiosn office for 7am monday morning when the cao offers come out, anything to be the 1st to get on the list for the cancelations.
    Any advice would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ring each of the villages , only way you'll find out for sure. I *think* there may be vacancies in classy Plassey.

AFAIK accomodation office opens around 0900, you'd be waiting a while :pac:

klong wrote: »
    Ring each of the villages , only way you'll find out for sure. I *think* there may be vacancies in classy Plassey.

AFAIK accomodation office opens around 0900, you'd be waiting a while :pac:
    Ya I hear plassey is good for 1st years, ill give them a call tomorrow

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

All on-campus booked for the coming year and a waiting list already in place. HOWEVER, a lot of people book 'just in case' so there will be drop-outs and quick movement up the waiting list. Ring accommodation office tomorrow and ask to be put on waiting list. :) There's off-campus accommodation too; ask about that as well.

All on-campus booked for the coming year and a waiting list already in place. HOWEVER, a lot of people book 'just in case' so there will be drop-outs and quick movement up the waiting list. Ring accommodation office tomorrow and ask to be put on waiting list. :) There's off-campus accommodation too; ask about that as well.
    Theres already a waiting list? ah crap, I rang her and she told me she wouldnt be taking names till monday.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Theres already a waiting list? ah crap, I rang her and she told me she wouldnt be taking names till monday.
    Yeah I'd say they're inundated with calls at the moment and have probably just set a blanket timeline on accepting them! Yep, there is a list, but don't worry - honestly a lot of those places are taken by people who did it just in case back in about March! There will be plenty of cancellations so do ring on Monday again.

All right so, ill get onto to them early monday, thanks for the help and anyway I was thinking there bound to be loads of people in my situation with no accomodation booked, they might be able to point in the same direction so i'll be with other 1st years.

1huge1 wrote: »
    All right so, ill get onto to them early monday, thanks for the help and anyway I was thinking there bound to be loads of people in my situation with no accomodation booked, they might be able to point in the same direction so i'll be with other 1st years.

Oh definitely. I wouldn't be too panicked about it right now, you won't be left homeless! :) There are a couple of private off-campus designated student villages that you might want to check out if you're not keen on doing a houseshare. There's Brookfield Hall and Courtyard Student Village and Park View Hall (but that one is a bit far away). I have no idea about how their situation is regarding being booked up or not though - sure give them a call and see anyway, no harm in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right, guide is presently cooking in the oven. Shall be in yore inbox around 8am-ish if I wake up. :pac:

cson wrote: »
    Right, guide is presently cooking in the oven. Shall be in yore inbox around 8am-ish if I wake up. :pac:

It's past noon; my inbox is empty :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

He obviously never woke up!

And another great man suffles off this mortal coil!

The Only Thing You Need To Know About UL Is…You got the points. You got the offer. You got a lift down with Mammy & Daddy. You’re there and you just don’t know what to do with yourself. Well fear not, for this guide shall provide all the answers to questions you thought never existed. Like how to get the fig out of fig rolls. Mainly it’ll just be a guide of not doing what I did last year.

Most firsties seem to think that once they hit college that everything will be rosy in the garden and there’s nothing to it at all. They’re wrong, very wrong. You can learn all the notes you want in leaving cert but they won’t equip you with the necessary and vital college skills. Skills such as the ability to source the cheapest alcohol purveyors within the shortest walking distance, or shortcuts to lecture halls that will enable you to have a longer lie in, or most importantly; how to get 3 days out of that spaghetti you cooked last Monday. The leaving cert just doesn’t equip you with those skills.

Drink
    A lot of people have the common misconception that college is all about the beer. This is obviously wrong; it’s all about the cheapest beer.
    • All I can say is, while you might scorn Bavaria Crown Lager right now, come November don’t be surprised to see yourself tenderly clutching the last two cans of your 6 for €7 thanking the almighty for this wonderful concoction.
    • Another thing to watch out for is the various bank holiday weekend offers from the Dunne’s and Tesco’s of this world. I like to call this method the Michael O’Leary, hedging your alcohol for the coming months. Be careful that you drink all your 24 for €20 Millers before the best before date, because trust me on this one; unlike wine, beer doesn’t get better with age.

Food
    Get ready to put on the fresher’s stone. Without Mammy’s home cooking you’re gonna have to fend for yourself from now on. This means your going to be eating an awful lot of food that’d be classed in the “faeces” bracket of the food pyramid.

• If you by some freak accident don’t happen to like spaghetti bolognaise, start getting a taste for it fairly lively. It will be the basis of your diet for the next four years and it isn’t uncommon for some students to indulge it 3 times a day, breakfast – lunch – dinner. Simplicity is the key; ½ lb mince and ½ lb of pasta and a small tub of bolognaise and we have lift off.
    • Shopping is another sadly necessary expense. But the trick to keeping this expense as low as possible is home. Rob every cupboard, press, fridge, freezer the whole lot. Rob it all. Show no mercy as you scrounge that tub of spam from the back of the press. If you do need to shop Aldi and Lidl are the default venues. Tesco Value and St Bernard stuff is alright too, although I’d choose the Pedigree Chum (80% Meat Content) over the St Bernard Shepards Pie (60% Meat Content). In any case, there’s little difference between them.
    • But if you’re lazy like me, the Sports Bar, The Plaza Café (Library) and the Paddocks do decent feeds for around €6ish. Then again an SU roll has proved itself as equal an adversary to hunger as Shreddies. But remember, the 10 minutes either side of the hour will see the place mad busy due to lectures starting and finishing.

Computery
    Those of you in the Neolithic age for computer proficiency had better learn ho to use them. And fast. You’re going to have to work a lot with those computers in the coming months.
    • If you have your laptop setup to use the UL network and then you decide to go home for a weekend and use your home broadband connection you will need to change the settings in IE/Firefox/Opera (or whatever you use) to not use the network any more. It's just the reverse of the steps you use to configure a network.
    • Register your modules and e-mail fast. If you don’t do this within the first week expect to see a not too insignificant €10 disappear from your moneybag. To put it in context; that’s roughly 9 cans of Bavaria. Simple way to avoid this is to go to the library, get a PC, type in your ID no. and D.O.B. as your password and Bob’s your Aunty. Failing that, there’s an orange “How to Set-Up My UL Computer Account for Dummies” doing the rounds on one of the shelves in the library.
    • Any questions on computer stuff, go to www.boards.ie, go to education, go to UL and the nerds in there will be more than happy to sort it out whilst perving on you. And yes that includes the fella’s.

Edu-macation
    Believe it or not, you actually have to learn some stuff while you’re here. Now lets take a moment to say a decade of the rosary for those poor souls doing teaching and science degrees. You will no doubt hear of their misery of 78 hour weeks. They’re only sorry they didn’t do a humanities degree!
    • Tip number one: While the 12th November may seem like ages away for the hand-in date for your project, you will inevitably find yourself on the 11th November with nothing done for it. Just get the thing out of the way straight away, its more fun to watch someone else slaving away into the wee hours of the morning at a project.
    • I’m tentative to say the lectures aren’t that important given the fact my name will be on this and I will probably become “known” to my lecturers in the same way some people are “known” to the Gardai. How and ever, what are important are the tutorials. Definitely go to these as you’ll find they stand to you in the exams.
    • Books. Do not buy them without consulting someone who’s a year ahead of you in the course. They’ll tell you whether you really need them or not. Case in point is the Irish Legal System book on my shelf that, while it looks nice up there gathering dust, I’d much rather have that €80. If you must buy the books the Students Union will have them cheaper than normal. Don’t bother with the Library, the nerds will have all the books gone there before the lecturer has finished telling you what book he actually wants you to get.

Going Out

Why would anyone want to go out and dance to something sounding like a cat in a washing machine, surrounded by loads of sweaty drunk people, eat a burger with more grease in it than a car engine afterwards and wake up the next morning with a head on you like the aforementioned cat in a washing machine? Because t’is great craic shure! But really, yes it is.
    • As mentioned already in this guide the objective is always to minimise ancillary expenses so as to maximise drinking money. One of the ways to do this is to take the Booze Bus. The Booze bus (i.e. the late Bus Eireann bus) departs around 11ish into town and only costs €1.45. Contrast this with the normal taxi fare of around €13 into town (€4 each for 3 in other words) and one has already saved half a vodka.
    • Furthermore, the bulk of the drinking should be done at home before you go out. If time is tight, multitask. There’s nothing like having a bottle of miller in the shower. A cautionary tip though; there’s a very fine line between being merry enough to get into clubs and pubs and being sent on your not-so-merry way home. Somewhere between merry and drunk should be good. I like to call it “Munk”
    • Another way to save dollars is to get into the clubs before 11.30. It’s free in before this time except on Thursdays for some strange reason. Don’t they realise I have a 9am lecture on Friday mornings and couldn’t possibly go out?
    • The generally good clubs in town are Sin Bin, Icon, Molly’s and my personal favourite Trinity Rooms, affectionately known as “Trooms”. Then of course there’s the beloved Lodge in Castletroy, with it’s ahem unique charms. As for all you non-mainstream weirdo’s, don’t go looking for the weird clubs, they will find you.
    • A general rule of thumb is that anyone that you regret pulling or scoring the next morning will most definitely be sitting beside you at your next tutorial or lecture. And the two of you will be the only ones there. But as a good friend of mine said “it’s only awkward if you let it be awkward”.

Sporty?
    Given the fact the University tarts itself as “Irelands Sporting Campus” there is a world of sporty things to do here. Everything and anyone is catered for. Now, I think its time I stopped sounding like a prospectus.

• It won’t take you long to figure out where the Arena is since it basically towers over everything else in UL. The membership is very good value, but only if you use it! And remember the pool is deep, veeeeeerrrrry deep. So if you’re a poor swimmer, get better!
    • Clubs & Socs evening is a must. Aside from sports, there are lots of other hobbies catered for. It’s a great way to make friends, but be very selective of the ones you join and again, make sure you use them! The UL Debating society got good value out of my fiver seeing as I never went.
    • For all the rugby fans: Munster train on the pitch inside the running track with is beside the Arena.

Living
    The likelihood is you’re going to be living with a group of people you’ve never met in your life before. This is supposedly part of the college experience. Personally, I just think its like big brother, except there’s no diary room to bitch about the rest of them in.
    • Clean up your plates/pots/pans after you use them. It’s so much easier than having to do it the next morning on a hangover. Make this a house policy.
    • Essential kitchen apparatus should include a George Foreman and a sandwich toaster. Microwaves are a luxury.
    • Take the bins out when they get full. The smell will get absolutely dire in the house otherwise. Dire to the point where you will become immune to it, as evidenced by the visit of two friends of mine to the house last year whereupon they started bitching about the smell, to which I replied honestly “What smell?”
    • Get back to the house early Sunday evening. Mainly so you can fill the fridge with your stuff before everyone else. If necessary “make room” for your things. If anyone asks where their waffles went, a good response is “what waffles?”

Missy Laneyus
    There is definitely maybe a whole heap of things I’ve left out of this guide and in fact your chances of survival have probably diminished more by reading this. You can send any complaints to the editor.
    • The buses. Ever hear that thing about two buses coming at the one time? Well Limerick proved that theory for me. The city buses are supposed to come every 15 mins. Needless to say they only come every hour and one follows the other almost as if they’re connected. Do not depend on them.
    • The Students Union common room has the most comfortable couches in the whole country.
    • TK Maxx do good deals on the Ski clothes around Sept-Oct. If this summer hasn’t shown you the great character that is Irish weather, god help you come December.

Right, I can’t think of anything else, so our mass has ended, let us go in peace to love and serve the lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 divad

That is a really good post..

"All I can say is, while you might scorn Bavaria Crown Lager right now, come November don’t be surprised to see yourself tenderly clutching the last two cans of your 6 for €7 thanking the almighty for this wonderful concoction"

Its now 6 for €7.50...i know its disgusting

and watch out for the weekly beer prices... ie 24 Miller for €20 in Tesco one week will be 24 Miller for €26.99 in Tesco the following week, meaning you will have to go to Dunnes to avail of their offer of 24 Miller for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Very good cson, I laughed quite a bit at that. I'm too lazy to quote exactly which parts, but it definitely captures the essence of UL quite appropriately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Ya its good. I can see BD roping you in for more articles after that one.

Peteee, you should sticky that in a seperate thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Stickied!

Great post cson, hilarious read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Nice read..:)

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Nice read..:)

Is that a compliment? :eek:

• Advertisement

Is that a compliment? :eek:
    I'll have you know I give credit where credit is due.
    Besides I'd hate for you to harm yourself if I said it was just 'average' :P

Hey lets call a spade a spade here, it is only average. There'll be better to come from me once I have a bit of time on my hands.

Hey lets call a spade a spade here, it is only average. There'll be better to come from me once I have a bit of time on my hands.
    Is that self-criticism?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    I'll have you know I give credit where credit is due.
    Besides I'd hate for you to harm yourself if I said it was just 'average' :P

A teacher giving credit where it's due:eek::eek::eek:

Well I never!:D:D:D

On the article itself, very good.

Clubs and Socs evening is Wednesday week 1 in the Arena from 6pm.

• Computery
      • First Sentence
        • learn ho to ???
    As mass has ended maybe we should go to love and serve the Don/Lodge:D:D

And no NOT you "The Don"

There's a new nightclub in Limerick....Angel Lane...it's 21s but I imagine there will be student nights. It shits on Trooms

ninty9er wrote: »
    A teacher giving credit where it's due:eek::eek::eek:

Well I never!:D:D:D

I'm no ordinary teacher I'll have ye know! :cool:

Yup, that'd be self criticism.

Mainly laziness, I honestly put feck all effort into that, I had a grand plan about reasearching it etc etc and writing a few drafts....but I was too lazy. (Sorry bd :o)

Yup, that'd be self criticism.

Mainly laziness, I honestly put feck all effort into that, I had a grand plan about reasearching it etc etc and writing a few drafts....but I was too lazy. (Sorry bd :o)

It's ok; I'll lure you in with my shiny writers' laptops and cookies once you're back :) And other free stuff! you'll be glad to know that I'm presently doing the layout for the mag and yours didn't require much editing...although having read ninty9er's let's go and serve the Don line I sort of like that... hmmm...

Did I text you with my uber smooth Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan style "You've got mail" text yesterday? I can't remember if I sent it or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

It's ok; I'll lure you in with my shiny writers' laptops and cookies once you're back :) And other free stuff! you'll be glad to know that I'm presently doing the layout for the mag and yours didn't require much editing...although having read ninty9er's let's go and serve the Don line I sort of like that... hmmm...

Working on article no. 2 at the moment...could be a wee while due to my constant state of excitedness regarding repeats :pac:

Have ideas for a few more if you want to hear them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭electronige

Hi all Im doing a course in robotics in UL this year as a mature student and me and a friend (professional) have found a nice modern 3 bedroom apartment looks like this (different apt but in the same building same layout ) its much bigger than the pictures look like.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=c17&s[a_id][0]=3728&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[bd_no]=&s[pt_id]=&s[move_in_date]=0&s[lease]=&s[furn]=0&s[search_type]=rental&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=535816

but need some one to take the 3rd room
    so if any mature student or professional ~25 age wants to move in .would suit some one going to UL with a car like 15mins away by car.and its right beside raheen industrial park limerick (walking distance) .rent ~ 300 a month ,smokers welcome ,Rent Allowance Not a problem ! .got internet .

Private message me for more details if you’re interested.

Advertisement