Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music to nursing

Options
  • 12-08-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hello all! :)

i have music degree and it has done nothing for me job wise as i'm not a professional on any one instrument.. piano a bit but i'm not "fluent" in it. and i've tried secondary school teaching and its not for me!
    got idea into my head (i'm only 23) to apply in feb as mature student in psych nursing.. cos i dunno what to do with myself. have been teaching piano the last year but its not full full time so no proper sallary etc.

can anyone tell me anything about psych nursing.. only outa college 2 years..
    also love the idea of music integrated into helping psych patients ( my cuz doing psych nursing but want an outsiders view!!)

any ideas/advice would be well appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ask your cousin to see if he/she can get you some work experience in a hospital/care centre to see what it's like. If s/he's still studying, contact the director of nursing at hospitals/care centres near you for advice. I'd definitely recommend trying to get some experience as it will also help your application to college if you need to be interviewed.

Also, see about places that do music therapy etc. Any way you can tie your previous studies in with your future studies will help your application. (I'm applying next year for a healthcare degree coming from a completely different area aswell so I know what is expected.)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

hi there,

i'm a qualified nurse and past music student. if i have any advice id say dont do anything without get some hands-on experience first...try to join an agency like nurse on call as a carer. Be aware that as a previous degree holder you'll probably have to pay fees of a couple of grand a year.

Just be sure this is what you want...you wouldnt believe how many people get through nursing only to move on to another area within a year or two.. I think a lot of people have a different idea of what its really going to be like and then they get a shock.

if this is what you want however, best of luck.

Advertisement