Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wet Floor in Megane!!

Options
  • 12-08-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey
    Hopped into my car(99 megane coupe) this morning and noticed that that there was about 1inch of water on the floor behind the drivers seat and the floor under the pedals and on passenger side was soaked!
    I know it rained alot last nite but my car was parked in the one spot away from major puddles and floods all night!
    As far as i can see its not coming from the sunroof or doors!
    I drove to work in it and parked outside, it rained again all day and when I left work there was about 2 inches of water in the car on the floor!!:(
    None of the chairs are wet and there is no damp/wet spots on the roof!
    Anyone had any similar experiences or know where to look to see where the water is coming in!!?:confused:
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

check the pipes goin into the radiator for the heater, i brike one of the joints when i was changin the engine in my fiesta a few years ago and the inside of the car was soaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is it a Megane CC? If it is, you have the roof open, so close it. It keeps the rain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baaraamoo

Thanks! nope not a megane cc!! Ill wait till it stops raining and then check all the pipes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The drainage channels for the sunroof are a likely culprit too. They get blocked with dirt and muck over time. The best thing I found for clearing them is the thin wire used for hanging net curtains. It's flexible and sturdy enough to push through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Stekelly wrote: »
    The drainage channels for the sunroof are a likely culprit too. They get blocked with dirt and muck over time. The best thing I found for clearing them is the thin wire used for hanging net curtains. It's flexible and sturdy enough to push through it.

Yes that what it probably is. I had a similar problem on my 98 megane. You have to remove part of the front wheelarch plastic protector on both sides and the pipe is attached to the car body near the door. The pipe has a flap which needs unblocking, you will be surprised at how much water and mud comes out. There is a modification recommended which is to cut the flap so the pipe exit is flat, therefore not as easy to become blocked.
    My car was wet for months until I googled it and found out info that way.
    It's a commonm fault with meganes apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 baaraamoo

Thanks guys! Ive just spent the last few hours trying to dry my car with sponges and hairdryers!! ill have a look at the sunroof in the morning and see if thats the culprit..... heres hoping theres not too much rain tonite!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

baaraamoo wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Ive just spent the last few hours trying to dry my car with sponges and hairdryers!! ill have a look at the sunroof in the morning and see if thats the culprit..... heres hoping theres not too much rain tonite!!

You won't see much at the sunroof as the water generally goes into the car via the A pillars if the pipes are blocked, so I would advise to check the pipes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I had an almost identical problem with a citroen saxo, except it was the passenger side that got soaked whilst the driver's side remained bone dry. After initially suspecting the sunroof and aerial seals, it turned out to be the drain from the sunroof which was blocked/leaking as described by previous posters. Fix that and you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Had the same problem with my Passat recently, and I don't have a sun-roof !

Small drainage hole under the battery plate had become blocked over period of time, and after a particularly wet night earlier in the "summer", the plenum chamber filled up and then started overflowing down into the floor pan and began seeping up through he carpets as well as spilling in via an air-conditioning vent on the floor behind the driver seat.

Got it unblocked easily enough but had to pull up the carpets/underlay and hang up to dry out thoroughly to prevent them rotting and smelling.

Advertisement