Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 6:54pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this one has been done before, I tried searching the forum but couldn't quite find the information I was looking for.

Basically, I'm wondering what the deal is with the O2 broadband service? I'm currently on UPC broadband, but I'm really at my wit's end with them, and am looking to move. Has anyone had any experience with O2 broadband, and if so what do they think? I'm currently on the broadband lite, or whatever the cheapest UPC one is. Also are there any Ts&Cs with O2 that might be tricky? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

afaik ya only get a 5gb cap with 02 and reception can be really bad, and they charge a lot for goin over the cap aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

the cap is 10 gb and you can try it for a month and give it back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

It is a 10GB Fair Use cap. As Skyuser said they have a 30 day full money back guarantee.
    I signed up last month and have had no coverage issues at all, and I have used it in Cork City area, and in both Limerick city and county.
    I am also fairly impressed with the speed - been constantly getting 3MB download speeds at least

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for the replies guys. Is a 10gb limit a lot? I was also thinking of getting eircom broadband, but I'd have to get my phoneline connected up, so O2 would probably be the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Is o2 Broadband the best on the market at the moment - for price and service?

What are the speeds like?

If the weather is crap like a the moment -> does this effect the speeds greatly?

Is it possible to share the connection over two laptops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You really should only be even looking at O2 broadband if you need for mobility or have no other option. Any fixed line service would blow it away in terms of reliability, latency, cap and average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

o2 is probably the best ... but if you have the option for fixed line then go with that. I have o2 because eircom wont upgrade my exchange. Id switch to fixed line in the blink of an eye. 3g is a good mobile solution but until 3.5 G / LTE comes (which will reduce latency and increase speeds dramatically) if you can get fixed line get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Yeah i can get the fixed line option but i dont want to sign up to a 1 year contract and then break it when i move before the contract is up.

What are the speeds like?

Does it ever go to dial up speed ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there is no guarantee your new address will have good signal or service and these mobile services are affected by contention a bit more than fixed line services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

lad12 wrote: »
    Yeah i can get the fixed line option but i dont want to sign up to a 1 year contract and then break it when i move before the contract is up.

The minimum contract with Eircom is only 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

6months for BB only with Eircom
    12months for BB & Talk with Eircom

Advertisement