Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Vince McMahon died

• 12-08-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Can't believe this if its true.

From WWE.com
    WWE Chairman Vincent Kennedy McMahon dies aged 62

Written: August 12, 2008

WWE.com is deeply saddend to report that Mr. Vincent Kennedy McMahon, Chairman of the Board of Directors - World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. (NYSE:WWE), was this morning found dead at his home in Greenwich, Connecticut.

The exact cause of death is not yet known at this time, though foul play is not suspected. Further details will be available upon the completion of a preliminary autopsy later today.

Mr McMahon's wife Linda, daughter Stephanie and son Shane are in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Link:
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/7841482

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Holy ****, this has to be true..... or IS IT?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Oh yea, 101% true..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Ok, I do have a point I want to discuss here - I just thought I would frame it like I did for dramatic effect :)

Obviously Vince can't live forever, so what do you think or hope will happen when he is gone. If he were to go suddenly like this, would WWE be able to cope? He is like the glue that holds everything together it seems sometimes.

Of course it might not happen like this but I just wanted to grab your attention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

I went to the WWE website and didn't see any mention of this. Are you 100% sure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_McMahon

DAM YOU CARTOON HEAD!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A better write up would have helped here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

No people, Vince McMahon is not dead.

No need rovert, just making a point, a point worthy of discussion I hope.

Ok, I do have a point I want to discuss here - I just thought I would frame it like I did for dramatic effect :)

Obviously Vince can't live forever, so what do you think or hope will happen when he is gone. If he were to go suddenly like this, would WWE be able to cope? He is like the glue that holds everything together it seems sometimes.

Of course it might not happen like this but I just wanted to grab your attention!

Very nice way of doing that!

But im quite worried that my first thought was kinda a glad shock that he was gone.... :confused:

I have no idea what that says about me...

But in response, As long as there is A mcmahon alive, they will still rule, simple as.

Very nice way of doing that!

But im quite worried that my first thought was kinda a glad shock that he was gone.... :confused:

I have no idea what that says about me...

But in response, As long as there is A mcmahon alive, they will still rule, simple as.

I was wondering what peoples reactions would be if they were taken in, if only for a second.

I just doubt the whole thing about the another McMahon family member being able to hold the company together the way Vince does and has done for so long. Can you see guys in the locker room taking the same kind of **** they have done with Vince from say Stephanie for example?

• Advertisement

I was wondering what peoples reactions would be if they were taken in, if only for a second.

I just doubt the whole thing about the another McMahon family member being able to hold the company together the way Vince does and has done for so long. Can you see guys in the locker room taking the same kind of **** they have done with Vince from say Stephanie for example?

I guess thats why Vince has them so heavily in the business, in all the workings.
    You make a good point, i don't think the roster would take the crap, and that could be a good thing.

I guess thats why Vince has them so heavily in the business, in all the workings.
    You make a good point, i don't think the roster would take the crap, and that could be a good thing.

Of course it makes sense, you almost have to grow up within the wrestling business or else you will be seen as an outsider.

There are guys like Kevin Dunn in there who really know their stuff too though, maybe they might use it as an oppertunity to break away with a few top guys and start a new promotion. There is always the possibility of a return to a kind of teritory based system again (unlikely) or it could really be a dark age for wrestling without a strong figurehead.

Cartoon_Head and Comic-Book-Guy you both know Stephanie has been head of creatvie for the past 7 years, right?

rovert wrote: »
    Cartoon_Head and Comic-Book-Guy you both know Stephanie has been head of creatvie for the past 7 years, right?

Yes but how do you think she would fare without Daddy backing her up all the time?

My God rovert, you really do get on my tits sometimes...

Cartoon head, i think what would happen is WWE would be molded into whatever form they saw fit?

Cartoon head, i think what would happen is WWE would be molded into whatever form they saw fit?

Do you think there would be many changes or would it be a case of 'life goes on' so long as the cheques still keep getting signed for the talent?

I guess it would be a different story if Vince was able to plan a retirement, gradually phasing himself out but its kinda hard to see him wanting to ever stop until he simply has to.

Yes but how do you think she would fare without Daddy backing her up all the time?

She managed fine when Vince was off site after tearing his quads. Stephanie is actually well liked, more so than Vince. Particularly in the past year. She is much more approachable than him.

How so?

Do you think there would be many changes or would it be a case of 'life goes on' so long as the cheques still keep getting signed for the talent?

I guess it would be a different story if Vince was able to plan a retirement, gradually phasing himself out but its kinda hard to see him wanting to ever stop until he simply has to.

Well he is only 62 and he is in great shape, so were going to get another 8 years of him possibly.

He is also a power hungry freak, so for as long as he still has a breath in him he will have a say.
    I think WWE will slow down for a while for "Bereavement", but not for long.

He is also a power hungry freak

People who worked for him have described him more of a workaholic than power hungry.

She managed fine when Vince was off site after tearing his quads. Stephanie is actually well liked, more so than Vince. Particularly in the past year.

True but there is a big difference between holding the fort while the boss is on a break and actually running everything for yourself when he is no longer around. I'm sure Vince was in regular contact during that period and also that Stephanie would have received a lot of support from those around her. The question is whether or not they would support her if they knew that they weren't going to have to answer to Vince upon his return should they prove to be uncooperative? Whoever takes over - be it Stephanie or not, is going to have a tough time for a while because everybody will be pushing the boundaries to test for any weaknesses that were not there before.

• Advertisement

Well he is only 62 and he is in great shape, so were going to get another 8 years of him possibly.

He is also a power hungry freak, so for as long as he still has a breath in him he will have a say.
    I think WWE will slow down for a while for "Bereavement", but not for long.

He does push himself hard for a 62 year old man though. Puts me in mind of that guy who used to advocate jogging as a cure for all ill. He died while out for a jog one day.

I think rovert does descibe him more accurately as a workaholic but the point remains that he will always have some involvement until it is just no longer possible.

True but there is a big difference between holding the fort while the boss is on a break and actually running everything for yourself when he is no longer around. I'm sure Vince was in regular contact during that period and also that Stephanie would have received a lot of support from those around her. The question is whether or not they would support her if they knew that they weren't going to have to answer to Vince upon his return should they prove to be uncooperative? Whoever takes over - be it Stephanie or not, is going to have a tough time for a while because everybody will be pushing the boundaries to test for any weaknesses that were not there before.

This all makes me want to hear the announcement that Vince is in fact dead and we can have all these questions answered :p

True but there is a big difference between holding the fort while the boss is on a break and actually running everything for yourself when he is no longer around. I'm sure Vince was in regular contact during that period and also that Stephanie would have received a lot of support from those around her.

Granted but she did by reports exceeded expectations. She at least competent.
    The question is whether or not they would support her if they knew that they weren't going to have to answer to Vince upon his return should they prove to be uncooperative? Whoever takes over -be it Stephanie or not, is going to have a tough time for a while because everybody will be pushing the boundaries to test for any weaknesses that were not there before.

Or they will on their best behaviour as they don’t know where they stand. Stephanie has her favourites. It is likely she would get rid of Vince's cronies much like Vince himself did 25 years which his father. Namely guys like Gerald Briscoe.

Anyway Vince McMahon’s role would fall to Stephanie as that is what she has been groomed for. Shane never showed any interest in taking over the family business. One of the main differences would that Vince McMahon is erratic and rewrote some of the rules when it comes to booking but deep down he still has the basics of Wrestling promotion. Which was “given” to him by his father, Vince Sr. duringVince Jr.’s formative years. When Vince puts his mind to it (normally the run up to Wrestlemania) he can promote cards and book traditional WRESTLING storylines which are those which work best. This ability doesn’t seem to be past on to Stephanie as her formative influences are sports entertainment and Hollywood bull****. She doesn’t have the instincts which old time promoters had in promoting big time matches.

Good points about Stephanie there rovert - I guess only time will tell whether or not her relative strengths and weaknesses are balanced enough to secure WWE's future or if they will become more vulnerable to competition or the likes of the political in-fighting that helped destroy WCW. That might well be the worst possible outcome of all come to think of it.

Ahh Rovert just enjoy the thread for what it is . Your like the Statto of wrestling.

this could be a very good time to get into the business of wrestling and to weasel your way into wwe..... ;)

this could be a very good time to get into the business of wrestling and to weasel your way into wwe..... ;)

Hang on - didn't you just give him a least another 8 years a moment ago :)

Maybe kill some time first, do some travelling, discover yourself - then weasel you way into WWE.

Good points about Stephanie there rovert - I guess only time will tell whether or not her relative strengths and weaknesses are balanced enough to secure WWE's future or if they will become more vulnerable to competition

What competition? I cant see a Pro Wrestling NOAH break away situation. WWE is a juggernaut, the rot would have go on for years and years better anything could mount a threat.

One aspect people here are forgetting is that in my opinion the share price would fall dramatically as people in the TV industry and the wider business community thinks that only Vince McMahon can promote Wrestling successfully. In 2000 & 2001 when Heyman and Bischoff were shopping around for new television deals. All the television networks saw the WWE's ratings dipping a lot and the reason why they didn’t grant deals to ECW & WCW as they all shared that view about Vince's acumen.

Good points about Stephanie there rovert - I guess only time will tell whether or not her relative strengths and weaknesses are balanced enough to secure WWE's future or if they will become more vulnerable to competition

What competition? I cant see a Pro Wrestling NOAH break away situation. WWE is a juggernaut, the rot would have go on for years and years better anything could mount a threat.

One aspect people here are forgetting is that in my opinion the share price would fall dramatically as people in the TV industry and the wider boniness community thinks that only Vince McMahon can promote Wrestling successfully. In 2000 & 2001 when Heyman and Bischoff were shopping around for new television deals. All the television networks saw the WWE's ratings dipping a lot and the reason why they didn’t grant deals to ECW & WCW as they all shared that view about Vince's acumen.

The points you make about the television deals just goes to show that without Vince there is also the potential for WWE to find it a much more challenging environment too. Sure it could take a while for serious competition to break through but with the right people, in the right place anything is possible.

• Advertisement

The points you make about the television deals just goes to show that without Vince there is also the potential for WWE to find it a much more challenging environment too. Sure it could take a while for serious competition to break through but with the right people, in the right place anything is possible.

Isnt that what TNA are trying?
    To create competition, with all the "right" people?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

They seem to be trying but I don't think they have either the right people or product to beat a Vince-less WWE. Good luck to them though, maybe they will get it right in the end, if their own Vince dies suddenly!

They seem to be trying but I don't think they have either the right people or product to beat a Vince-less WWE. Good luck to them though, maybe they will get it right in the end, if their own Vince dies suddenly!

note the operative word; "Trying"! lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If Vince doesent move aside for a long-long time though I could imagine Shane who doesent have a family etc becoming much more involved in the business uping his workload from Executive Vice President of Global Media atm and then him and Steph sharing responsibility. I get the impression that Shane is just not too eager to become his father though and that is why Steph right now is the next generation of McMahon's who would be in charge and she is going about it all in the right way if reports are to believed.

Makes you wonder what behind the scenes role their would be for Mr Levesque?

Makes you wonder what behind the scenes role their would be for Mr Levesque?

Linda's...

According to reports HHH has his eye on Johnny Ace's role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Shane who doesent have a family etc becoming much more involved in the business

Shane is married and has two sons, how is that not a family?

If Vince doesent move aside for a long-long time though I could imagine Shane who doesent have a family etc
    Shane does have a family does he not?
    He has a son, his name starts with D anyway....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Minto wrote: »
    Shane is married and has two sons, how is that not a family?

wow id actually heard that he was seperated and she had the kids, and that since he was getting more involved in the business, was back around WM time when he appeared with Big Show... obviously that was bull**** (damn friend) and is very different from not having a family but... I was wrong

wow id actually heard that he was seperated and she had the kids, and that since he was getting more involved in the business, was back around WM time when he appeared with Big Show... obviously that was bull**** (damn friend) and is very different from not having a family but... I was wrong

What sort of a woman would walk away from the royal family of wrestling?!!

EDIT

Taken from wiki:
    Shane married his high school sweetheart Marissa Mazzola on September 14, 1996. They used to live across the street from each other. Shane has stated that Marissa was the only girlfriend he ever had.[52] Together they have two sons, Declan James and Kenyon Jesse. Declan was born on February 13, 2004 and weighed nine pounds. Kenyon "Kenney" was born March 26, 2006. On July 24, 2006, Shane became an uncle, when his sister Stephanie had her daughter Aurora Rose Levesque.

Another funny note:
    When Vince McMahon was interviewed in Playboy, he mentioned that Shane was suffering from ADHD, for which they placed him on Ritalin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Thread title changed to get more discussion going :pac:

At the moment it's clear that Stephanie would take over the role closest to what Vince does. I don't think that she could ever do as good a job as him though, and neither could anyone else

WWE stock would take a huge hit as rovert said. I don't think that there'd be any noticeable affect on business for a good while though, so the stock would likely recover to some extent. It's over a period of time where the changes would become clear

I wonder in what way his death would be treated on tv though. They would likely do a tribute show, but would they do anything that would be considered disrespectful if it were someone else's death? Like what they did to Eddie. Because I'm not sure that Vince wouldn't want that. And would he be mentioned on tv much?

I really don't think that he's dying for another twenty years at least though

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wonder in what way his death would be treated on tv though. They would likely do a tribute show, but would they do anything that would be considered disrespectful if it were someone else's death? Like what they did to Eddie. Because I'm not sure that Vince wouldn't want that. And would he be mentioned on tv much?

They will probably do a million pretapes before he dies so he can retain an on air role and make matches beyond the grave.

Im half joking here

They will probably do a million pretapes before he dies so he can retain an air role and make matches beyond the grave.

Wow, would that be creepy....! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

They will probably do a million pretapes before he dies so he can retain an air role and make matches beyond the grave.

Thats not a terrible idea :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

ya it is

Damo.Smith wrote: »
    ya it is

:confused:

Ooook.....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

If I hadn't been Rick Rolled about 20 times in the last few weeks I might have fallen for it.

If Vince dies will he go to heaven? Will God still be mad over Vince beating him at Backlash 2006?

If I hadn't been Rick Rolled about 20 times in the last few weeks I might have fallen for it.

If Vince dies will he go to heaven? Will God still be mad over Vince beating him at Backlash 2006?

Id say for that stint he could be hells top bitch!

If Vince dies will he go to heaven?

No

No

Rovert is really St John in disguise! or whoever it is...

• Advertisement
Advertisement