Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to snorkel with a Seal?

• 12-08-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

sealha8.jpg

Hey guys,

There's often a seal swimming around in the bay beside me here... is it safe to throw on a pair of fins and go in for a look? Would he see me as a threat?

Obviously talking about when there's no pup around.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

There should be no problem.

When in the water, remember you are in his home. Allow him to have full control i.e. let him decide when to approach you.

Do not "force" yourself on him by swimming in his direction, attempting to touch him, etc. It is a good idea not to look at him until his third pass - see him but without eye contact, which can be construed as a challenge.

You will find his natural curiosity will mean that he will approach you in ever-decreasing circles until he is satisfied you mean him no harm. If you decide to duck-dive and stay on the bottom for a minute, as he approaches make a friendly sound that will arouse further curiosity.

If you stay calm, quiet, and swim in slow motion, you may have a brilliant encounter.

Whenever pups are present it helps if you take plenty of no notice. That is, don't make eye contact with either seal. The mother will feel safer, and may even bring Junior for a fly-by!

If you get to the stage where both are comfortable with your presence, look at the pup and clap your hands a few times. The pup may well return the action by mimicry.

On approaching a seal that may be lying in a gulley, be sure to give him adequate room to exit past you. IOW don't swim in the center but off to one side.

They are lovely animals, and can nip your fins in playfulness. The seal usually stops when you look directly at him. Ignore him for the best results.

Who knows? With repeated encounters he may actually come to recognise you.

Enjoy in safety

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

seadeuce wrote: »
    There should be no problem.

When in the water, remember you are in his home. Allow him to have full control i.e. let him decide when to approach you.

Do not "force" yourself on him by swimming in his direction, attempting to touch him, etc. It is a good idea not to look at him until his third pass - see him but without eye contact, which can be construed as a challenge.

You will find his natural curiosity will mean that he will approach you in ever-decreasing circles until he is satisfied you mean him no harm. If you decide to duck-dive and stay on the bottom for a minute, as he approaches make a friendly sound that will arouse further curiosity.

If you stay calm, quiet, and swim in slow motion, you may have a brilliant encounter.

Whenever pups are present it helps if you take plenty of no notice. That is, don't make eye contact with either seal. The mother will feel safer, and may even bring Junior for a fly-by!

If you get to the stage where both are comfortable with your presence, look at the pup and clap your hands a few times. The pup may well return the action by mimicry.

On approaching a seal that may be lying in a gulley, be sure to give him adequate room to exit past you. IOW don't swim in the center but off to one side.

They are lovely animals, and can nip your fins in playfulness. The seal usually stops when you look directly at him. Ignore him for the best results.

Who knows? With repeated encounters he may actually come to recognise you.

Enjoy in safety

Seadeuce

Good advice Seadeuce :)

I've had several encounters, but never gone looking. Like most creatures, generally friendly once they've sussed you out and decided you're not a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Seadeuce !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ponybottle

Hi all

In our club we had one instance where a seal actually tried to mount a female snorkeler on the surface but backed off when it's amourous advances were not reciprocated !

I have come to an abrupt halt at 40' only to look around and find a female hanging onto my fin - her look of playful innocence somewhat at variance with the rows of business like teeth.She followed me to the surface all the way, with my fins stroking her neck. At one point I jabbed the fin-tip under her chin and by raising my leg brought her up and myself down until we were face to face - a surreal moment.

I am of two minds about them; in general they mean no harm but they are curious and playful and a half ton of curious playfulness in my vacinity is slightly more than I am comfortable to be around.

Heaven Help You if you meet one with PMT !

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I've been approached when snorkelling by them and the advice above is good. They also seem to play follow the leader with swimmers and scatter when you turn around. Just avoid areas where people feed seals such as harbours etc to be on the safe side. Also keep reading the body language and if in doubt leave. They're very powerful animals and could easily injure you. The main rule is to let them approach you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement