Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA Security or CCNA security

Options
  • 12-08-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    Iam looking for some advice from people who know what would be more beneficial
    I would eventually be looking for a career in Network security I currently work in desktop support role.
    I do not know where to start in my certifications i.e. mcsa or ccna
    Which will be the more beneficial to start with mcsa 2003 in security or would it be better for me to start with the CCNA. I taught initially it would be good to know how to secure the microsoft environments by being able to gain employment with mcsa 03 in security and then start into my cisco certiications. The mcsa in security is 8 exams so 8 months work and then I would probably be looking at 5 or 6 months being realistic for a CCNA

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Just incase your not aware,

To get the CCNA Security you need to be CCNA certified first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

which would you prefer to secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 markoj

thanks folks so far I know the cisco certification path
    I would eventually prefer to be securing networks but the problem I have is that everyone seems to take mcsa's and then move onto the cisco certifications
    Would i be able to get a job in a networks role with just a CCNa certification

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

markoj wrote: »
    thanks folks so far I know the cisco certification path
    I would eventually prefer to be securing networks but the problem I have is that everyone seems to take mcsa's and then move onto the cisco certifications
    Would i be able to get a job in a networks role with just a CCNa certification

I got in with none, so I can't see why not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I would estimate that you'll be far more likely to get a job in networking with a networking-specific certification (CCNA) than a non-networking-specific certification (MCSA).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Yeah, I'd second that one. CCNA would definately be more attractive to an employer looking for someone to hire for a network security role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd agree. Cisco certs would be more highly rated for networking jobs than MCSA.

I have the MCSA Security, but to be honest I don't really view it as a security qualification. It's basically an MCSA with one additional exam which covers a security topic. I did the ISA 2004 exam. There's a lot of security stuff in this exam, e.g. firewalls, proxies, etc - but it's only testing you on one product. You could also do Security+ as your MCSA elective.

The MCSA server & networking exams will cover aspects of networking, but not in the level of detail of Cisco certs.

Advertisement