Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post grad on-campus

Options
  • 12-08-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all

I've been offered a place in postgraduate residence VA 1 04 (block A), which is what I wanted, but I have never actually seen the place and cant find out much info off the DCU website. I've seen the sticky by sprockety on 'accommodation in and around DCU' which was great help but it doesn’t cover the post grad blocks.

I just want to find out what people think of the post grad blocks.:confused:

What do you get?
    What do I need to bring with me?
    any pros or cons?
    And should I accept the offer or are there better places to live?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gaoithin

Hey, I live in Block A at the moment. Just had a quick look at the fire-escape plan thingy, VA104 is a four bedroom apartment, right beside the college bar.

I posted the following in a different thread on here:
    Gaoithin wrote: »
    there are some really really good things about the postgrad residences (i.e. Postgrad blocks A & B, the ones you get for 12 months) and some really quite crappy things.
    Pros:
    -Ridiculously close to everything on campus (5 mins walk max to anywhere)
    -Around the same price as other accommodation in the area, but bills are included
    -All other postgrads living here so the building is quiet
    -Big ensuite bedrooms, with large desks
    -Internet included in rent

BUT...
    -Postgrad Block A is right beside the bar so it can get v noisy when there's things on there (you will be kept awake)
    -The apartments aren't v new and could do with some refurbishment, especially the kitchens. There's v little counter space so it's difficult for more than 1 person at a time to cook
    -If you move out before the 12 months are up, you lose your €270 "damage/cancellation deposit" no matter how much notice you give (only found this out recently myself and I'm not too happy about it)
    -Rentokil come to spray the rooms for bedbugs every 3 months, which is a nuisance as you have to strip your bed and move everything in the room to the centre of the floor (this is done in all the campus residences)
    -Room inspections

To be honest, it's really hard to decide whether I recommend the place or not. The location is so handy, but I've really found the small kitchen and the noise irritating.
    Campus residences don't supply crockery, cutlery, etc (but they don't tell you that til the day you arrive) so unless former residents have left stuff you'll need to bring all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ditsonic

cheers Gaoithin great help.

just another thing overall is the post grad block any fun to live in?
    is it easy to have people stay over, or are there any parties ever in the block, and fun to be had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I live in block b. There's unlikely to be any impromptu parties like undergrad res. There's a guy in his 50s living across from us :D

Pros:
    -Handy for college, gym, etc.
    -Apartments are nice if a little sparse
    -you can have anyone stay over. security only care about rowdy undergrads

Cons
    -its expensive
    -the campus res ltd people are *****
    -nothing is supplied (unless left behind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ditsonic

right, so it wont be a party pad then,

last question i promise
    are the rooms big? do you get muck storage, or kitchen room?
    cheers

The bedrooms are pretty big, nice long desk the whole length of the room, large wardrobes, drawers, etc.
    The kitchens are pretty crap though, hardly any storage space. I have to keep some of my food in my room. There's just about enough counter space for 1 person to cook dinner, 2 is a crowd!
    And it's definitely not a party place.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ljojojo

Hey! I've been offered a room in Block A too, Va203, and I've never seen the rooms either!
    The info you guys have been posting has been REALLY helpful tho! So thanks! Just another question...or two :o! Would I have to bring other little things like hangers, or things like that? And also will I have to park over by the creche, or is there parking set aside for res?

Thanks a million!

No parking set aside for res but there's parking close enough to it. I've no idea where the creche is tbh. And word of warning, not all the rooms are huge. My room is half the size of my housemates. I don't mind it but you may

Thanks! Yeah, well up until I read this thread all I'd heard was that the rooms were all tiny, no space, crap kitchens, and stuff like that, so I think anything would be an improvement on what i've imagined. . .I hope!:)
    The one I'll be in is a 3-bedroom, and it's room B, does that make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

Hey!! :)
    Just got word that i'm in W--- B. Its the 9 month postgrad place. In with the undergrads. Its a 5 bed apratment. Anyone know what these are like??

Its quite pricy so i'm expectin a big room!!

Ok, I think you need to be educated sir. I'm paying 570 a month for a tiny room. DCU is the biggest money grabbing college in the country. If they could charge you for the air in the apartments they would.

• Advertisement

WTF! Are you serious! That's totally ridiculous! And I thought I had it expensive at 495 a month! How is it that expensive??

Mine comes to 510 a month. Its says on the agreement its a delux room, double bed and bathroom. So for it to be delux i'm expectin roses. Oh and thats all they had left.

I rang up and they said they offered me a room but i never replyed to an email they sent and i said what email?? Anyway long story short i'll be kicked out after 9 months. But it still better be worth it!!

Yeah, for those kind of prices it's only fair to be expecting some quality! Were you only looking for 9 months, or 12?
    I got the same line about an email, but I never got an email from them either! Well at least we've got rooms sorted now!

One of my friends lived in the 5 bedroom apartments, they are pretty nice. The bedrooms are quite large. They are only 9 month contracts though so if you want to stay on campus next summer to write your dissertation or whatever, you should put your name down for the 12month place now to have some hope of getting moved in here next May.
    ;)

Mine was so expensive because it's only two people. Price goes up the less people. Worked out well as my house mate is dead sound. Keep an eye out for those campus res people though. I won't name names but some of them are cynical bastards

ljojojo wrote: »
    Yeah, for those kind of prices it's only fair to be expecting some quality! Were you only looking for 9 months, or 12?
    I got the same line about an email, but I never got an email from them either! Well at least we've got rooms sorted now!
    Yea what was with that, she said i was given a 12 month place but i never replyed to the email. No phone call nothin. So all they had was the 9 month one when i rang up pure luck i got anythin at all. I'll prob get somewhere else for the 3 months or move back home or somethin.

Advertisement