Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rx8

Options
  • 12-08-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone else got a mazda rx8? How often is best to get them serviced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Join www.irishrotary.com

I'd imagine it would depend on the type of driving you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

yep did thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Says it in the manual

every 12,000 miles or evey 12months, whichever comes first.

cheers, Anyone have any other info ya think i may need

Well, there are a few things to know about the RX-8' and its "quirks"

Do you know anything about them? ... Did you do a bit of homework/research before buying or did you just buy one on impulse!?!?!

• Advertisement

nope, done the research, twin rotary 1.3, likes petrol and oil, rear wheel drive ect ect - just posted to see if anyone has one and has verdicts ect ect

Well the only thing I would say is, the engines are quite prone to flooding when ice cold.

So in the mornings, for example, do not switch the engine off (or stall it) before it gets a chance to heat up ... (at least 1/4 way up on temp gauge)

Other than that dont be afraid to beep it (redline) to avoid carbon deposit build up :D

Also check oil every 500miles or every 2nd tank and keep it topped up if necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Also check oil every 500miles or every 2nd tank and keep it topped up if necessary

:eek:

I used to have an Alfa 16 valver that liked oil, but this is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Zube wrote: »

They are engineered that way, the oil is used to lubricate the rotor seals. The Rx7 doesn't have this feature afaik so the engines only last 60k.

Take your pick 60k engine life or a bit of oil.

Zube wrote: »

whats ridiculous?... checking oil? :rolleyes:

I didnt say it burns the oil, I said just check it and top it up if needs be ... i havent needed to top mine up in 800 miles in the RX-8

And most regular cylinder engines will use 1 full litre of oil every 1000miles and your manual will tell you to check your oil regularly ..... if people would actually bother to read manuals
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yep chking oil is no bother - what type/year rx8 you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

C_Breeze wrote: »
    And most regular cylinder engines will use 1 full litre of oil every 1000miles and your manual will tell you to check your oil regularly ..... if people would actually bother to read manuals
    :rolleyes:

A tad excessive, 1L oil in 1000mls in a 4 stroke engine. The last 2 car's i've owned wouldn't have used that in 5k. But you're right about checking your oil, I do it every month.

Advertisement