Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headrests on the day of the test

Options
  • 12-08-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

On paragraph 10(k) of the letter explaining the text, it says that "where seats are designed to hold head restraints, these restraints must be in place on the day of the test". I presume this applies to rear seats as well? And if so, does anyone have any idea where I can get a spare headrest for a VW golf?

It does make it easier for the reversing when the headrest isn't there but obviously if it is absolutely required, I'll get one fitted (if I mange to find one!).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Now that's an interesting one Fiona!

I would be tempted to say that front seat head rests would be adequate but then, if there is an examiner's inspector present during the test, he/she would presumably get into the back seat and may refuse to continue without headrests.

I don't know! :confused:

Any idea lads/ladies?

(PS - you should be able to get headrests in a scrap/breakers yard).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Now that's an interesting one Fiona!

I would be tempted to say that front seat head rests would be adequate but then, if there is an examiner's inspector present during the test, he/she would presumably get into the back seat and may refuse to continue without headrests.

I don't know! :confused:

Any idea lads/ladies?

(PS - you should be able to get headrests in a scrap/breakers yard).

You could always just do the test in the instructors car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 betterdrive.net

Dont worry, make sure the back seat behind the driver has a head rest fitted. The supervisors sit behind the driver so as not to impede your view. As this is the case you should not need a head rest on the passenger side in the back.
    You should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

fiona-f wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

On paragraph 10(k) of the letter explaining the text, it says that "where seats are designed to hold head restraints, these restraints must be in place on the day of the test". I presume this applies to rear seats as well? And if so, does anyone have any idea where I can get a spare headrest for a VW golf?

It does make it easier for the reversing when the headrest isn't there but obviously if it is absolutely required, I'll get one fitted (if I mange to find one!).

Thanks!
    I was under the impression that as long as the front seats had the head rests in place that you should be fine. I am having pre-test lessons and my instructor has done all the checks with me and I think my car does not have headrests on back seats(not sure as I never really paid attenton to them as never in back seat) and he has never said to me that I need to have them fitted.

Where abouts in the country are you as there are a good few places where you pick up spare parts at a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

My instructor actually told me to take the rear ones off as they will help when reversing, I did that for my test and they said nothing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think my car does not have headrests on back seats(not sure as I never really paid attenton to them as never in back seat) and he has never said to me that I need to have them fitted
    It depends on whether you car was manufactured with them. If they were not there originally, there is no legal requirement to have them. It's the same with seat belts, nearside morror etc.
    Easy Rider wrote: »
    My instructor actually told me to take the rear ones off as they will help when reversing, I did that for my test and they said nothing..
    ....yes but did you have a supervisor in the rear seat inspecting the examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in replying - I haven't been online the last few days. I did think about doing the test in the instructor's car alright but I'm more comfortable in this one, more used to it, as I changed instructors a couple of times while learning and they each had different cars.

Would a possible solution be to source the headrests (I presume they wouldn't be too expensive - I'm in Templeogue so any suggestions for nearby suppliers welcome) and just have them handy in case a supervisor is appointed to come with me? I'm sure it can't take more than a second or two to fit them. I tried ringing SGS to ask and they said "just read your test letter"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi fiona-f,

I have a, Golf will sell you a headrest as I have one never use.

First thing when I get a new car is remove the rear left headrest.

It interferes with my pupils vision when I am teaching them the reverse manoeuvre.

Been presenting my cars for tests sans headrest for 15 years or thereabouts, absoutely no problem.

Don't worry, concentrate on your driving.

Advertisement