Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing course

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

does anyone know if there is anything to stop a course leader from accepting undergraduate students outside the cao system?

a friend of mine is hoping she doesnt get her first choice so i suggested she ring the course leader of her second choice and explain the situation

is there any reason other than cao rules that this can't be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I assume it's perfectly within the rights of an educational institution to admit people who don't get offered a place through the CAO.

Not gonna happen though tbh. All she can really do is pray she gets offered her second choice on Monday or re-apply next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

line6 wrote: »

Too laaaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

I assume it's perfectly within the rights of an educational institution to admit people who don't get offered a place through the CAO.

Not gonna happen though tbh. All she can really do is pray she gets offered her second choice on Monday or re-apply next year.

so if the course leader of her second choice would like someone with great results, and she wants that course more than her first choice then it's just hard luck for everybody?

why not contact the course leader and explain the situation - is this a no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

It's unlikely she'll get the place......there's no harm in trying though!

You can transfer course within the college and between colleges easily enough during first year. What's normally needed is a place available in the other course (someone else to drop out), for you to have the points and the matriculation requirements, and for there not to be any timetabling issues with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I would be fairly confident is stating that the CAO is the only body that will assign people to courses. If individuals were able to contact course leaders individually and persuade the course leader to accept them on their course, then that would totally screw up the CAO system.

I think the only option is to wait and see what is offered on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Myth wrote: »
    You can transfer course within the college and between colleges easily enough during first year. What's normally needed is a place available in the other course (someone else to drop out), for you to have the points and the matriculation requirements, and for there not to be any timetabling issues with that.

This is another option, and one that I'll be thinking about in the next few months.

Friend of mine in DCU says I can switch (I'm going to DCU) between courses before Holloween.

I can also switch between colleges?

Does any of these options result in extra fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I would be fairly confident is stating that the CAO is the only body that will assign people to courses.
    No thats wrong. Theres at least 3 others, some of which are available for LC grads.

declan_lgs wrote: »
    This is another option, and one that I'll be thinking about in the next few months.

Friend of mine in DCU says I can switch (I'm going to DCU) between courses before Holloween.

I can also switch between colleges?

Yep, you've to contact the college you want to go to. There's obviously some deadline involved but it's possible.
    Does any of these options result in extra fees?

Standard fees, like registration fee - no. However some colleges have levies on top of the registration fee (Trinity, UCD for example) for things like gym membership, student centres, USI membership etc. You'll be advised of this by the college.

Wouldn't be anything more than a hundred or two more, depending on the college... unless it's private.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

when i opened my leaving cert results i was over the moon i got 450 and i was gonna be happy with 300 but then depression hit..
    :confused: i rechecked wat i put in my cao and realised i cant do 5/8 choices on my cao because i didnt achieve certain grades in certain subjects. I dont want my first two choices now and blah blah i bascially made a b0llix of it all!!! I know my only option is to wait a whole year and reapply for the cao with a proper list of choices (i must have been langers or something applying this year) but is there any other way into courses avoiding the evil cao???

help please:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

only18 wrote: »
    when i opened my leaving cert results i was over the moon i got 450 and i was gonna be happy with 300 but then depression hit..
    :confused: i rechecked wat i put in my cao and realised i cant do 5/8 choices on my cao because i didnt achieve certain grades in certain subjects. I dont want my first two choices now and blah blah i bascially made a b0llix of it all!!! I know my only option is to wait a whole year and reapply for the cao with a proper list of choices (i must have been langers or something applying this year) but is there any other way into courses avoiding the evil cao???

help please:(
    Depends on the college - some have different procedures in place for applicants wanting to change course. Drop them an email about it. At the minimum you'll need the CAO final points and satisfy matriculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

yeah I emailed UL and no reply!!:(
    oooooooooh what to do next..........
    I find it so frustrating that leaving certs cant fill out the cao after the results! the only reason its before hand is to the benifit of the colleges to give them a rough guide on how many people want course places ect..
    . . . ...........................
    ............. I also heard from a girl attending Belfast Uni that NIreland citizens get a £3000 grant for living expenses?? wow:eek:

Ring, never ever ever e-mail anyone if you want a quick answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    No thats wrong. Theres at least 3 others, some of which are available for LC grads.

And these are????

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

line6 wrote: »
    does anyone know if there is anything to stop a course leader from accepting undergraduate students outside the cao system?

a friend of mine is hoping she doesnt get her first choice so i suggested she ring the course leader of her second choice and explain the situation

Colleges are very strict on this. If you don't go through the CAO you can't get into the course unless as previously mentioned a vacancy arises early in the year or you're in the same college and directly switch, which also depends on someone dropping out.

This happened to me. I used the change of mind facility many times during the year. An electronic error occured the last time and I received no confirmation of the change. I changed my first choice to Limerick but ended up gettin offered my second choice last Monday. The fault was CAO's but as I had no receipt I hadn't a leg to stand on. Basically CAO told me tough sh*t. I got in touch with the head of Academic Registration in UL and explained I wanted to do the course in UL and that I got offered Cork ,which was in fact higher points(hoping this would help,but it didn't). She said I was offered my first preference and that was that.

I accepted because after some serious thought I've realised it was probably a sign that I was meant to do the course in Cork,as it's recognised as better.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

sorry for this being completely off topic, but i dont want to start a new thread. When do we get that letter from our college? anyone know plz? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jameswalsh1974

You can apply directly to the private colleges such as Independent Colleges and the turanaround is fairly quick. You dont need to go through the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

I accepted because after some serious thought I've realised it was probably a sign that I was meant to do the course in Cork,as it's recognised as better.

Ya...cork is better alright:pac::pac:

Advertisement