Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all I am trying to sell my pc but I can so I have to over clock now am looking for the best cooler out of this that will last me for couple of years.

Specs
    Cooler Master Stack 831 + 4 Addition side fans
    OCz ProXstream PSU 1kw
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
    Scythe Ninja Cpu Cooler Plus (Revision B)
    OCZ Pc 6400 4 x 2Gb Ram
    ASUS P5N32-E SLi Nforce 680i
    NVidia EVGA & GiGABYTE 8800GTS 512 SLI
    DVD RW
    LG Blu-Ray HD DVD Drive
    Western Digital HDD 160Gb & 500Gb
    XP-Pen Pad
    Logitech Mouse Keyboard Headphone setup
    Windows Vista x64 pre-installed

That's the spec, now what cooler would go best? My aim is closest to 4Ghz

zalman 9700
    thermalright 120 extreme
    Thermaltake BigWater 735, 12cm Liquid Cooling System
    THERMALTAKE Bigwater 760i CL-W0121 Liquid Cooling System

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thermalright 120 extreme with a good fan (Sythe Flex, Yate Loon etc) and get rid of the side fans, these will do nothing but hamper your efforts to expel hot air from the case as quickly as possible. Its best keep the air flowing in the one direction, ie front to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thermalright 120 extreme with a good fan (Sythe Flex, Yate Loon etc) and get rid of the side fans, these will do nothing but hamper your efforts to expel hot air from the case as quickly as possible. Its best keep the air flowing in the one direction, ie front to back.

But I can change the positions of the side fans to out take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No good, You can only expel as much air as you can pull in, ie 1 exhaust fan for every front fan pulling in, no matter how many more fans you add to expel air it will only expell what the front fan pulls in. The most efficient cooling system is cold air in at the bottom in the front and out at the rear. The quicker you can change all the air in the case the better. The quicker you can expel the hot air the better, this is why in ATX cases the cpu cooler is nearly always located near the exhaust fan.

nh_u12_case_airflow_1.jpg

Side fans help with gpu temps, but will hamper your cpu temps by causing cross winds and interfering with the front to back airflow

Advertisement