Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw316i 2000 problem please help

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi guys or girl

I am useless at cars and i always feel i get ripped off in the garage when i am bringing my car in , I am trying to read up on stuff about my car but anyway here is the problem

I was driving my car today and I noticed the termostat gage was seriously in the red and was flashing , when i was driving it flicked a bit went to the normal half way point and then on to the red part again. this never happened before and their was no steam coming from the car or anything

but i no the engine is obviously over heating , i opened up the engine the fan is working and the head gasket does not appear to have blown , also the cooling appears to be ok

is it the water pump or something electrical ? like a wire connecting to the engine ? , i know when i bring it to the garage tomorrow it will cost me an arm and a leg , has anbody has the same problem with BMW 316I ,

THE QUESTION I HAVE IT what causes it and how do i fix it , AND HOW MUCH WILL IT LIKELY COST

I REALLY NEED MY CAR FOR WORK AND I DIDNT REALLY NEED THIS EXTRA COST TO BE HONEST

I would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the coolant at the normal level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It sounds like a faulty gauge or sender, the engine may not be overheating at all. If so, it should not be too expensive. If the gauge is reading correctly, and the engine is genuinely overheating, then it won't suddenly flick back down to normal as you describe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the needle movement and light flicker last long?
    Did it rise while you were moving or stationary?
    What is your coolant level like when cold?

The fan coupling may have gone. Your answer to q2 may solve that one. Otherwise it could be eletrical (hopeully). Don't drive it while the needle is above half way though just to be sure as you could easily warp the head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 carlos30

BROUGHT INTO GARAGE THIS MORNING THE MECHANIC IS NOT SURE

THE FAN DOES NOT SEEMS TO BE SPINNING AROUND , HE SAID IT COULD BE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM OR THE FAN WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED AT 400 COST

THIS IS AN BMW GARAGE

HE SAID THE FLOODS OF LAS WEEK COULD OF GOT INTO THE SYTEM IM HE WILL LOOK AT IT TOMORROW , I AFRAID OF WHAT THE BILL WILL BE

THANKS YOU GUYS FOR REPLYING AT LEAST I HAD SOME IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT TO HIM THIS MORNING FROM YOUR RESPONSES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 carlos30

Actually forgot to say , now the other clock beside the engine clock is going mad its was shooting up and down , those two clocks seem to be messed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

carlos30 wrote: »
    BROUGHT INTO GARAGE THIS MORNING THE MECHANIC IS NOT SURE

THE FAN DOES NOT SEEMS TO BE SPINNING AROUND , HE SAID IT COULD BE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM OR THE FAN WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED AT 400 COST

THIS IS AN BMW GARAGE

HE SAID THE FLOODS OF LAS WEEK COULD OF GOT INTO THE SYTEM IM HE WILL LOOK AT IT TOMORROW , I AFRAID OF WHAT THE BILL WILL BE

THANKS YOU GUYS FOR REPLYING AT LEAST I HAD SOME IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT TO HIM THIS MORNING FROM YOUR RESPONSES
    carlos30 wrote: »
    Actually forgot to say , now the other clock beside the engine clock is going mad its was shooting up and down , those two clocks seem to be messed up

It should be fairly east to test the fan on an E46, it can be forced on with diagnostic equipment, or if you plug out the wire going to the temperature sensor on the lower radiator pipe it should come on!

From memory there's a little electronic controller on them that converts a PWM signal from the DME to a signal to drive the fan. I've never heard of the controller on them going faulty, but i guess it is possible.

If it is the fan a mechanic who is good with electrics or an auto electrician might be your best bet.

The good thing is the fan is very accessible on the E46, unlike a BWM R51 MINI!! I fixed the fan on an R51 mini by adding in a €2 resistor from radionics, it was a much higher quality part then the €0.25 part BMW had put in, but most places would of said that's a new €300 fan!

Advertisement