Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1958 KLM Disaster remembered

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.sbpost.ie/breakingnews/ireland/mhqlmhmhsncw/

Galway commemorates 50th anniversary of KLM air crash
    12/08/2008 - 17:13:20

The 50th anniversary of the KLM air crash is being commemorated in Galway this evening.

A total of 99 passengers and crew lost their lives in the crash, which happened 100 miles off the Connemara coast on August 14, 1958.

A ceremony, hosted by Galway City Council, is underway at the New Cemetery in Bohermore to remember the victims and honour those who helped bring their remains ashore.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Did you go to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Terrible tragedy, i'm glad there was a rememberance cermony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

sgthighway wrote: »
    Did you go to it?

No was working unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would liked to have been there. I reckon the Tribune will have a full page on it with photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

http://atlantach.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/the-last-flight-of-klm-607e-hugo-de-groot/

Have done a little research, but would like to hear if anyone has anything to add, or recollections of an older relative etc, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Holy necro thread dig there, but I suppose this is a very specific incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I heard that many of the ambulance, gardai and particularly nursing staff in Galway were fairly traumatized after their response to the event as very few have them had seen so many casualties such terrible shape.

Terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I'd imagine so. By all accounts the emergency response in Galway was something we can be proud of.

Advertisement