Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I've read alot of information about what to eat for breakfast and porridge always comes out on top. Im wondering though what is the best way to cook it? I use fat free milk and then a nice bit of canderel. Is the canderel ruining all the good I'm getting from the porridge? I just cant imagine eating it any other way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Most people heat it up using either water or milk, using whole milk or fat free/skimmed milk. The thing with whole/skimmed etc is that there is very little difference in fat content, so all you are really losing is the flavour of regular milk.

As for the canderel, you dont have to use sweetner if you dont want to, if not allergic to it, i recommend honey as a substitute it is very nice as a topping, or use some sweet fruit like strawberry or blackcurrant.

The canderel doesnt ruin any goodness really, but using more than you should is obviously not a good thing, and the sweetner is only a "simple" sugar, gives a short term energy release and then you lose it quickly, the porridge itself is a "complex" sugar, having a long term energy release to cover you throughout alot of the day, which is why it is such a good thing to have at breakfast.

Hopefully this post wasnt too long, but was informative to you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

My favourite way to eat porridge is dry, with some Glenisk yoghurt and fruit mixed through it.

Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I make my porrdige at work in the microwave with low fat milk. To make it sweet I add honey which I think is a better way to sweetne it then sugar/sweetener. I also usually chop up a banana or other piece of fruit in to it as it's tasty and is an easy way to get 1 of your 5 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Mine is made with water in a pan and then a simple banana is chopped while waiting for it to cool down. I find the banana adds some sweetness thus not requiring any sugar / sweetner. I do have some honey at some which I've forgotten about though, so that's going in tomorrow too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks a million for the responses I like to know that kind of info Master of Nothing so thanks for filling me in. I think I'll try it with honey as I really need that sweet fix. I couldnt imagine eating it dry!! Might try the banana too but I've always been afraid of the fruit in breakfast cearal idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The sweetener adds zero calories (basically). Honey adds some. Just worth bearing in mind. Also, the difference between full fat and skimmed milk is about 25 calories per 100ml so not insubstantial if you're using 200ml.

let's say 50 calories for milk v's skimmed and 25 calories for the honey (about 2 tsp) x 7 days = 475 calories = about 50g of fat a week. It all counts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

A chopped banana and a handful of raisins does the sweetening job for me. I'm not that concerned about the number of calories though, as I'm very active right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I make mine with water, add a little skim milk when it's cooked, along with a bit of Splenda and sometimes a square of 70% cocoa chocolate, gives a great flavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

There's a Flahavans one that has apple and raisins already in it and it's very tasty. I make it in the Microwave with low fat milk and add some maple syrup as a sweetner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If soak the oats in water overnight and soak some raisins or other dried fruit in with them, it'll sweeten the whole lot, then you could maybe phase out the canderel over time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I think I might actually do that- put less and less in it each time. At the minute its more like I have some porridge with my canderel instead of the other way round. Starting tomorrow I will reduce it

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Interesting to see the various combinations. I have mine with wheatgerm, flaxseed and raisins. Yum Yum. Honey is sometimes good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I make mine with water, and sweeten it with honey and slice a banana over it. I love porridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I make mine in the microwave and 20 secs before it's ready I open the door and chuck in some frozen fruit. Really nice. Also use ground seeds and sometimes wheatgerm, fruit (actually non-frozen blueberries are gorgeous and Tesco often do them half-price) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Samhlaigh

With the cold mornings you can't beat a warm bowl of porridge, pity I'm saying this in August though! But I usually make it with water but chop an apple and a few dried cranberries into it while cooking and then a wee drop of rice milk when it's done...breakfast I look forward to!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galaxie390

Hi,

I add sunflower, pumpkin nad linseeds to my porridge. Somtimes with a bit of honey and mixed spice or cinnamon. A bit of wheatgerm and wheatbran doesn't go a miss either.

Cheers,
    Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I am eating my porridge as I read. :) This morning I made it with skimmed milk, raisins and a little Canderel. Sweeteners are basically calorie free and have little or no impact on blood sugar so they don't do you any harm. I also like my porridge with stewed apple and cinnamon.

Honey and whole milk adds quite a lot of calories.

If you aren't trying to lose/maintain your weight then by all means use the whole milk and honey but if you are trying to keep calories down I'd advise sticking with canderel and skimmed milk - and maybe add some fruit for extra nourishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Nice ideas neuro (apple and cinnemon = nyom!)

I always use glenisk full fat organic milk, but use less of it and dillute it with water, rather than skimmed milk. It's a good alternative and cheaper too as if you dillute down the full fat milk to 50% water and 50% milk it means it lasts twice as long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The ONLY way to eat porridge is to soak the oats overnight in Apple Juice, and then eat with some milk - cold. YUM. You can add honey and cinnamon too ... I'm addicted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Glowing wrote: »
    The ONLY way to eat porridge is to soak the oats overnight in Apple Juice, and then eat with some milk - cold. YUM. You can add honey and cinnamon too ... I'm addicted :)

That sounds absolutely divine tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

what about readybrek? According to the ingredients it's basically oats only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

what about readybrek? According to the ingredients it's basically oats only.

Porridge is the less processed of the two and will keep you full for longer.

Advertisement