Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband disconnects

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i just ran that dsl speed test and got the following with my wireless router connected using ethernet to this machine.

Last Test Date:
    8/12/2008
    Total Tests Taken:
    Fastest Download:
    4059 kb/s
    Fastest Upload:
    399 kb/s
    Average Download:
    4059 kb/s
    Average Upload:
    399 kb/s
    with a ping of 103!

i then plugged my old netopia router in and connected this machine to it the same way(ethernet):

Last Test Date:
    8/12/2008
    Total Tests Taken:
    Fastest Download:
    3645 kb/s
    Fastest Upload:
    407 kb/s
    Average Download:
    2365 kb/s
    Average Upload:
    255 kb/s

with a ping of 124!!

i was on the eircom 3 mb connection and with the wireless modem connected with ethernet it looks like i have been upgraded to 5 meg or something?? do them speeds look correct?

how can i check my line stats? i forget how to do it, its been a while.

no disconnects today at all then from 9pm to 10pm constantly disconnected?!!

the router is located in our boxroom and i have a cat5 crossover running from this machine through the attic floor into the router.

im sick of constantly getting disconnected with eircom.

paying 40 a month for this sh1te.

please help!!!

one alst thing. the netopia wireless router im using was my sisters and she didnt need it, eircom never sent me a replacement for my really old netopia wired one, so if i hadnt tried my sisters wireless router then i would still be getting the very slow speeds as above. im really confused!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Dunno how you missed the upgrades thread on this forum but yes 3mbit>7.6mbit, but unfortunately your line doesn't seem up to anything more than 4mbit and even at that its getting disconnects. Not knowing what model the new router is go to http://192.168.1.254/ on the netopia and go to expert mode -> statistics -> DSl and post the results. If its the case of something being a miss in the house thats possible to correct you might get a better speed if not and your line is too far from the exchange or just too poor it might be in your best interest to downgrade to 3mbit (formally 2) to stop the disconnecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im in donaghmede, about 2 miles from belcamp (if thats actually where the belcamp exchange is located!)

of course i knew about the upgrade from 3-7 what i found strange was that my dl was showing up as only 4-5 on the wireless router, and less than that on the old router.

im in work atm so i cant access the router.

there shouldnt be a problem with the line coming into my house, maybe its a problem with the cabling in the house.

cables are more than 30 years old now and afaik the upstairs cables were put in by my dad and a neighbour!

if i decided to get the house re wired, is that expensive? is it a sparks that does it or an eircom net technician?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

copeyhagen wrote: »
    im in donaghmede, about 2 miles from belcamp (if thats actually where the belcamp exchange is located!)

of course i knew about the upgrade from 3-7 what i found strange was that my dl was showing up as only 4-5 on the wireless router, and less than that on the old router.

im in work atm so i cant access the router.

there shouldnt be a problem with the line coming into my house, maybe its a problem with the cabling in the house.

cables are more than 30 years old now and afaik the upstairs cables were put in by my dad and a neighbour!

if i decided to get the house re wired, is that expensive? is it a sparks that does it or an eircom net technician?

cheers
    If it was the case the internal wiring was poor it might cost a bit depending on the size of the problem but usually its something simple like a poor phone lead and could be done by yourself. At 2 miles though I suspect its just a line not capable of more than 4mbit, its could be 2 miles by road but that doesn't mean that the line isn't longer.

atm at home there is 2 laptops connected (not often) by wireless, a pc in our boxroom connected by ethernet and a computer in the attic also with ethernet.

the modem is in the boxroom. the phone box on the wall has no cover on it but isnt being obstructed or touching off anything. there was a snap in the phone line running from downstairs to upstairs which my dad "fixed" by putting this little plastic conductor thing that screwed the two wires together!

according to him thats fixed properly and isnt the cause of the disconnects!

im doubtful though.

2 phones in the huse and both have the little filter added so its not that thats causing it.

its really annoying, especially for someone that plays online games.

middle of a cod4 game and u get dc, only to find "your cd key is in use" so you cant join a server for 15 mins.

i would deffo consider trying to get the wiring in the house re done if someone could throw a ballpark figure out.

i think the line should be capable of the speeds, my friend was told he could get 20 meg and he lives a few doors down from me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thinking that your line should be capable of the speeds is not going to get you anywhere. If you want to try and find out what is causing your problem you have to be systematic and the first step is to get your line stats.

agreed, ill check it when im home.

ok, done as adviced:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 512
    SN Margin (dB) 3.00 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 48.50 29.00
    CRC Errors 379 13

what now? that looks like the line is only capable of 5 meg?

ok, done as adviced:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 512
    SN Margin (dB) 3.00 15.00
    CRC Errors 379 13

what now? that looks like the line is only capable of 5 meg?

I doubt very much if your line is capable of 5Mb - your SN margin is disastrous and you will get continued disconnects with it that low.

Have a read here to get some idea of the problems attached to the low SN margin.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

had a look on that site cheers.

what now?! if i got the cabling in my house re done would that fix the SN?

would a better router do it? that site mentions using a NTE5 adsl faceplate mght improve it?

cheers for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I recently got a Speedtouch 585 modem and it has vastly improved my SN margin compared to the Netopia. It gave me a steady SN margin of 17 before the speed upgrade and 12 since the upgrade. I was upgraded from 2mb to 3mb.

had a look on that site cheers.

what now?! if i got the cabling in my house re done would that fix the SN?

would a better router do it? that site mentions using a NTE5 adsl faceplate mght improve it?

cheers for the help.

The ideal way to get your stats to get an idea of the signal coming into your house is to get it off the first point. Is that point still available to you by any chance? That would eliminate all the internal extras that seem to have been added on.

do you mean where the phone line first enters the house?

ill try that now..cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've started suffering disconnects aswell.

My DSL stats are:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 10.00 6.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.00 22.00
    CRC Errors 76 5

Not sure i read the SN margin right but should i have my line downgraded to improve the SN. Is 10 too low?

EDIT: I get disconnected when the phone rings

okay, im connected now in my kitchen which is the only other access point, connected via wireless and the stats are:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4736 512
    SN Margin (dB) 1.50 16.00
    CRC Errors 3 5

that SN looks ridiculously low!!!

and whats the craic with the CRC errors!!

heeeelp!! :D

think im gonna go for the ntl option later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol

snr margin of 1
    thats prolly the worst iv ever seen man :)
    congrats!
    Thats obviously whats cuasing your disconnects :)

Try unplug everything from the phone sockets and plug ur router directly into the master socket via ethernet cable

See if that improves it

haha ty eircom. i must win something for having THE worst connection ever.

gonna sort out ntl when i get home. their 10 meg looks decent. bye bye disconnects

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've been suffering random disconnects all day in Waterford. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

Im the same here in Carlow for the past two months. I not good with computers, I rang eircom and was told to type in this number and that number for about a half hour and finally he told me nothing wrong with my line or connection so i still in limbo

i got through to an eircom tech just now, explained to him that im paying 40 a month for a service that disconnects every 2 minutes, and that it was extremely poor before the upgrade. i also explained about my ridiculous sn margin. he done a few tests and said that atm the line is uncapable of running at faster than 5 meg. i told him that our modem wasnt in our main access point, as eircom had split our phone to put one in the kitcken and one upstairs years ago.

the only advice he could give was to get a phone socket put back in at the main access point and that MIGHT allow us to get faster than 5 meg.

deffo goin to nthell i think. 10 meg for 30€ a month, which is a tenner cheaper than im paying now for this crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been getting disconnects for the last two months or so but was aways so couldn't sort it out. Current stats:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 5.41 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.51 31.50
    CRC Errors 109 11

We recently upgraded our wired 2meg to a wireless 3meg package, but have yet to sort out a wireless router.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,
    a neighbour of mine is also getting disconnects - and will have a look for her.

but can I be a super-thick and ask how you are getting these line stats ?

thx

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 menthal_doctor

im collecting posts regarding eircom for my projct for college. I will be greatfull if u will publish ur stories, opinions and ideas on forum.zorrozone.com thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

Advertisement