Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which tube should I buy for 700x25c

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just ordering some tubes and was wondering which would be best for a 700x25c? Seems to be alot of options. Are there some that are better than others? The valve need to be long enough for Bontrager SSR's, and I think that's about the only thing specific to the wheels.

72oo

EDIT: Maybe these would be a good cost/performance ratio? In the correct size with a long enough valve anyway...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

If they are just for general use you'll probably be fine with most tubes that CRC sell. I've used the cheapy Nutrak ones and never had issues with them and certainly haven't felt the bike being less performant than when I have continentals on it.

If you were really looking to shave the grams there are some very lightweight tubes but I'd be suprised if you really noticed much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Doesn't really matter, anything that will fit a 700x25 will do, you'd probably get away with 700x23, I know I have. You shouldn't need a long valve for SSRs, normal (42mm) should do.

Personally I like Vittoria Ultra Lite 700x18-23c tubes (green box) - these are relatively lightweight at 80-90g but still work fine unlike what I hear about some of the 50g type. Got mine from Wiggle before but recently found somewhere doing them very cheap indeed but with a bit of a shipping cost; might post a thread to see if we could get something together (I wouldn't mind getting in 10 or so for myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

blorg wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter, anything that will fit a 700x25 will do, you'd probably get away with 700x23, I know I have. You shouldn't need a long valve for SSRs, normal (42mm) should do.

Personally I like Vittoria Ultra Lite 700x18-23c tubes (green box) - these are relatively lightweight at 80-90g but still work fine unlike what I hear about some of the 50g type. Got mine from Wiggle before but recently found somewhere doing them very cheap indeed but with a bit of a shipping cost; might post a thread to see if we could get something together (I wouldn't mind getting in 10 or so for myself.)

Will you throw up the link for tubes on wiggle please? I'm being very slow today and can't seem to find it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have read that it is best to avoid the valve stems which are threaded, as they can cause damage to the rubber seal in your pumps. Also, the nut which comes with them, that can damage the valve if you tighten it too much. I prefer to go for mid-length valves. Sometimes tubes have really short valves which make it difficult to attach my track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Here's the link for the wiggle tubes: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Inner_Tubes_-_Road/

I think the pack you were talking about Blorg is here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Vittoria_Pack_Of_5_Road_Inner_Tubes/5360035531/

I might be best off ordering on my own though as I'll be in Limerick for the next few weeks and I'll probably need one before I get up to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

@Blorg, I wouldn't mind gettin a pack or two... maybe some tyres too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Anyone have experiences with these?? Seem to good to be true for a commuter bike:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Slime_Self_Healing_Road_Inner_Tube/5360038257/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

christeb wrote: »
    Anyone have experiences with these?? Seem to good to be true for a commuter bike:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Slime_Self_Healing_Road_Inner_Tube/5360038257/

Some people love them, some people hate them. I personally wouldn't use them. They are only good for punctures up to a certain size and after that if you have to fix it the good old fashioned way you'll end up with the green slime all over your hands.

Just ordered two Continental Race 28 700 x 18-25 Presta 60mm . Hopefully will be good and arrive soon.

72oo

@72hundred- they are the tubes I mean all right.

@Tiny- I will try to dig out the site that had them crazy cheap (I think it was 10 tubes for less than the Wiggle price for 5, shipping was just £13 or something.)

• Advertisement

72hundred wrote: »
    Just ordered two Continental Race 28 700 x 18-25 Presta 60mm . Hopefully will be good and arrive soon.
    They will be fine, the valve will just be a little long, not a problem.

Found the cheap tubes, £28.88 for 20, £1.44 each. £15.02 delivery (20), £17.43 delivery (40.) Poke around and see if there is anything else you want but I would certainly be on for 10-15 tubes at that price.

^^^^

That's a very good deal. I'll probably order off 'em next time.

They will be fine, the valve will just be a little long, not a problem.

Yeah I thought that, but they were out of the 42mm type and I didn't want to wait.

Advertisement