Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading back in a UK import back into the UK....?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have a car that is proving difficult to shift, I bought it in the UK and it is still on UK plates as the irish VRT is too steep to clear, now I'm thinking of bringing it back over to the UK and trading it in over there for something less "taxing", if I want to trade it back in in the UK are there any obstacles I would have to overcome (apart from the ramp on to the ferry) ?....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

what kind of car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If the ownership hasn't transferred to you on the V5 I'd imagine it will be close to impossible to sell/trade in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would say that the vehicle is registered as being permanently exported on the UK side. I'd imagine that the DVLA would have questions about it, so this is one hurdle. I think it would be a bit of hassle, the car is in a limbo state now, not registered in either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I would say that the vehicle is registered as being permanently exported on the UK side. I'd imagine that the DVLA would have questions about it, so this is one hurdle. I think it would be a bit of hassle, the car is in a limbo state now, not registered in either country.

If the OP followed the advice in the importing from the UK thread and got the full V5 and since it's still on UK plates I doubt it's down as being exported, since they haven't gone to the VRO yet.

But as Tipsy Mac said since they car hasn't been transfered to OP's name there could be problems with trying to sell it over in the UK.
    BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    I have a car that is proving difficult to shift, I bought it in the UK and it is still on UK plates as the irish VRT is too steep to clear, now I'm thinking of bringing it back over to the UK and trading it in over there for something less "taxing", if I want to trade it back in in the UK are there any obstacles I would have to overcome (apart from the ramp on to the ferry) ?....:D

If the car is out of UK tax you could have it taken off you when driving back over. Also if the VRT on the car over here is high then car will have lost a good bit of value in the UK since they have increased their road fund licence for high CO2 vehicles.

Ring a few dealers in the UK and ask them for will they take it as a trade, after explaining what you have above, or try up North. Another option is stick it on ebay.co.uk*

* Then wait for all the is this a scam threads about it:D

Advertisement