Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

four inch slant on hall ?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Need advice from the front door to the bottom of the stairs my floor is off by 4 inches what is the best self leveling compound to get or would concrete be the best ....do i need to dig it all up ? start again i`m getting a nee front door should i wait till door arrives or have it done before ?

thanks ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

DJKAV wrote: »
    Need advice from the front door to the bottom of the stairs my floor is off by 4 inches what is the best self leveling compound to get or would concrete be the best ....do i need to dig it all up ? start again i`m getting a nee front door should i wait till door arrives or have it done before ?

thanks ..

Concrete is you only option in afraid. Leveling compounds are good for 4mm depth. Any deeper and it will crack over the next few months. Get it sorted before your new door arrives . Ensure you are not going to be cutting 4 inchs of the height of the new door .

finish the floor off after concrete with a two part latex leveling compound.

4" is mad out. It maybe worth while paying a trades man to do it some sat morn. someone who has lots of experience in pouring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

DJKAV wrote: »

thanks ..

A person would need to see this floor before giving advice. 4 " is an awful lot to be out. Is the floor sloping towards the door or towards the staircase? I have often had to lay a couple of tiles on top of each other in the low section to bring the floor to level and then fill in the middle with tiles and then mix some floor tiling adhesive and use this as a screed to level the floor. Floor tile adhesive is a much stronger leveller when the levels are so bad. Levelling compound is really only for 3-4 mm and to give a smooth floor for laying lino etc onto. As i say, hard to advise without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

tradesman wrote: »
    A person would need to see this floor before giving advice. 4 " is an awful lot to be out.

tradesman is dead right.

Even a 4cm difference would be exceptional in what I presume is quite a short space in your hallway. Get a professional to look at this for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

tradesman wrote: »
    A person would need to see this floor before giving advice. 4 " is an awful lot to be out. Is the floor sloping towards the door or towards the staircase? I have often had to lay a couple of tiles on top of each other in the low section to bring the floor to level and then fill in the middle with tiles and then mix some floor tiling adhesive and use this as a screed to level the floor. Floor tile adhesive is a much stronger leveller when the levels are so bad. Levelling compound is really only for 3-4 mm and to give a smooth floor for laying lino etc onto. As i say, hard to advise without seeing it.

good sugestion with the tiles . adhesive is expensive though.

I think if it was my job to fix this I would have a big kango at the ready and start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

4 inches is a lot. is your house leaning over? Is your level accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

4 inch from the step in the hall to the front door which is 12 feet away it`s a cottage over 100 years old ..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

i`ll post picture soon just so ye can have a see for yourselves...

Advertisement