Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Scope

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Take a look at this from Euro optics. I got this in an email from them. Whats the plan? Ireland harbouring terrorists? (I mean the Jihad type!!!!)

If you intend to have a rifle scope imported to the Republic of Ireland, we must apply for an export permit which will take about 20 days. Shipping to a US address or UK requires no permit. If you buy a scope from us on a web based auction and require a permit, we add a $25 fee. Full payment for the scope in advance is required. Also email you complete shipping address and phone number

Whats this import license thingy??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Jonty wrote: »
    Take a look at this from Euro optics. I got this in an email from them. Whats the plan? Ireland harbouring terrorists? (I mean the Jihad type!!!!)

If you intend to have a rifle scope imported to the Republic of Ireland, we must apply for an export permit which will take about 20 days. Shipping to a US address or UK requires no permit. If you buy a scope from us on a web based auction and require a permit, we add a $25 fee. Full payment for the scope in advance is required. Also email you complete shipping address and phone number

Whats this import license thingy??
    they must know your from laois lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »
    they must know your from laois lad

What would they do if they knew you were from Wexford???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds like another way of conning money out of you.:(
    Unless this scope is a current mil issued,tactical style,sniper scope,and not a run of the mill huning scope they are blowing you off.Go and find somone else who doesnt BS you on sales.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Unless it has a laser attached or some form of infra -red or night vision then any EU supplier can send it here without any paper worries. They are just BS merchants...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is some strange stuff with regards to posting stuff over to Ireland, I bought a pair of shoes once from a seller on ebay and according to the USPS website they cannot be imported without a license!
    From the USPS website:

The following goods are subject to quota restrictions and require an import license: boots and shoes, brushes, electric lamp bulbs, screws, tapered thread; felt hats and caps for women and girls; brushes and mops; wheaten flour and any commodity or product of wheat; rubber proofed wearing apparel; sparking plugs and component parts; silk and artificial silk hose; and certain woven fabrics.

Not using this as an excuse but maybe just maybe there is an arcane law out there that is being applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

CJ, footware an clothing always had a seperate process ( it primarily intends to protect domestic and now EU manufacturers) but the scope issue is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In fairness man it sounds like post 9/11 paranoia and shananigans to me.
    Nightvision, laser and thermal imaging are deffo restricted export items but you need super's permission for those types of gunsights over here anyway so it's a bit of paperwork no matter what.

freddieot wrote: »
    CJ, footware an clothing always had a seperate process ( it primarily intends to protect domestic and now EU manufacturers) but the scope issue is BS
    No doubt, what my point was, concerned the fact that felt hats and caps for women and girls is not commonly used at present.
    which leads me to believe that this legislation is somewhat dated.
    I got my scope from the US through Ebay, no problems.
    And to the OP check out the Firefly reticle they are very good at dusk/dawn

How do the Firefly scopes behave under a lamp ? I've had an illuminated scope once and it was just all glare the moment you flicked the lamp on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    Nightvision, laser and thermal imaging are deffo restricted export items but you need super's permission for those types of gunsights over here anyway so it's a bit of paperwork no matter what.
    [/QUOTE]

Not for Thermal you dont...There is NO mention of it anywhere in any firearms acts.Technology advances ,the law stays still..All you need is loadsa money to buy one and a way of getting it out of the US.Seeing that they are now an over the counter sales item for appx 5k USD.
    Welll,that is untill the Chinese get one and mass copy it and flog it to us for 100euros.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

How do the Firefly scopes behave under a lamp ? I've had an illuminated scope once and it was just all glare the moment you flicked the lamp on.

The firefly is not illuminated in the typical sense, they have a sort of Glow-in-the-dark coating that charges up with a torch.
    Once charged they glow for a while and provide a better contrast against a dark object.
    I think they are a tri-plex type as well thick post-thinner-post-fine post so you can locate objects easily at night.
    I am a believer in the KISS principle so thats why I like them.
    I tried using a single fine cross hair scope at night and it was awful.

Thanks CJ, that's exactly why I was a bit curious. The different illumination technique.

Grizzly, you're right about the thermal sights. The bank manager might currently have more of a say than the Super :D

Advertisement