Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy with Diarrhea..

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Ruby my new Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy (nine weeks old now) has been getting 'the runs' on and off over the last week.

She's on Royal Canin puppy food (dry food) and drinking plenty of water.

And while she's still very active, gaining weight and appears healthy enough this is causing me some concern.

She's got her first vacination yesterday (the first is for Parvo) and has two more to go over the next two weeks so she's not outside our garden yet.

I'm putting this down to a change in her diet, but would welcome anyother opinions hopefully based on other's experiences with puppies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

It could be just be because shes eating the dry food shes drinking alot more water and is giving herself the runs. If it continues Id reccomend a trip to the vets just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

What was she eating before this. Really she should have been changed gradually over a week or so. RC is one of the best foods around so i would stick with but any concerns please get her to vets as puppys can get sick very quickly.
    Why at her age did they give her just the parvo. The parvo injection is usually gave on its own at 6 weeks as they are 2 young at this age to get the 7-1. Then at 8 weeks u then give the 7-1, followed by booster. Also did u say to the vet yesterday about the runs, as any good vet should have gave her a good check before vac? What did vet say about the runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Mairt wrote: »
    Ruby my new Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy (nine weeks old now) has been getting 'the runs' on and off over the last week.
    And while she's still very active, gaining weight and appears healthy enough this is causing me some concern

Just out of curiosity would it be a worm dose needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I found that RC food to be a little rich for our yorkie, I had a similar problem, he gets bakers now and he's in top form, maybe you switched her food too soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I recently changed from supermarket foods and vet foods (never would I use them again unless I'm really really stuck).I did it buy mixing it with the Arden Grange at first and then less and less.The three dogs are looking great and there Pooh is easier to clean up. I also did the same as with the cats three of which are kittens they went from super market foods to burns (vet food)to Arden Grange as Arden Grange have decided to go on holidays for a while and it was hard to find. But I found no problems with the change other than they seem to be craving after the additives, preservatives or some god offal ingredient in shop bought or vet foods if anything i find they have more energy but less hyper.

I have been doing as much research as possibly to put them on the best foods I can get, if you check the RC ingredients against pedigree or bakers you'll find the only different is they add extra vitamins, the food content is the very same.My as well save your money and buy pedigree and a bottle of vitamins much cheaper.Arden Grange bought in bulk works out nearly similar as shop bought or vet foods, it contains meat meal (real meat) not meat by products or meat and animal derivatives. Naturally preserved and no additives that make them hyper and hard to train.

If he still has the runs especially after a parvo vac's give the vet a ring and get advice as to weather this is normal I had a beautiful border pup when I was a kid and after her first lot of vac's she got the runs we thought that she just got a draft from been brought out for the vac's a few days later we had to go away over night and when we came home she was dead and there was blood every were my mother wouldn't let us in to the kitchen until she cleaned up and raped the body she also went through the vet for a short cut for not warning her this could happen and he told her half a different stories as to how an in door pup from breeder to us could catch parvo full blown. I don't remember it all as I was only 10, but any thing out of the ordinary were vac's are concerned apart from being a bit sleepy I'd get advice if it's only to be on the safe side and if you fell somethings not right follow your instincts and get him to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Re. the Vets, well he more or less said as I've stated above.

The pup looks happy, she's gaining weight and is very healthy looking. No temperature etc.

But I'm still concerned at her bowel movements, which btw are normal this morning.

Maybe I'm just being overly concerned as I haven't experienced this before, ie alot of diarrhea in an otherwise healthy dog so thats why I'm wondering about the change in diet.

As she's never alone she's under the eye constantly, which means at the slightest chance of trouble she'll be off to the vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

could be the change over in food. i'd be giving him plenty of meat, chicken lamb mince etc...that'll do him world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Mairt wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Re. the Vets, well he more or less said as I've stated above.

The pup looks happy, she's gaining weight and is very healthy looking. No temperature etc.

But I'm still concerned at her bowel movements, which btw are normal this morning.

Maybe I'm just being overly concerned as I haven't experienced this before, ie alot of diarrhea in an otherwise healthy dog so thats why I'm wondering about the change in diet.

As she's never alone she's under the eye constantly, which means at the slightest chance of trouble she'll be off to the vets.

Hi Mairt - Could just be a disagreement with the food and her digestive system. I tried lots of brands of dry puppy food on my girl and many of them (although there was nothing wrong with the food) just gave her this problem and just didn't suit. Best I found that agreed with her was the Burn's Puppy nuts (green bag). Same thing happened when we changed her over to Adult food, lots of try outs before we found one that suited her! :D

Best of luck and hope little Ruby is doing great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

It could be many reasons:

1. Change of diet
    2. Change of environment
    3. Worms
    4. Worming Medication

In all honesty, with a new puppy it could be any, or a combination of the above. When we got out last puppy, she had some soft stools at first due to the change of environment. Then, when we wormed her the stools got soft again, and once there was a small amount of blood in one movement. This was all due to the worming medication.

I would not suspect parvo at all. With parvo, the hemorrhaging would be obvious and you would not have a happy puppy at all. Keep and eye out though, and never drop your guard.

In the meantime, you could feed her bland food such as boiled rice and boiled chicken. This should settle her stomach. Also make sure she has access to water at all times to prevent dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Congrats Mairt!

When my dogs get a dose the only thing is chicken and rice (white rice).

Head out to the Asian market and stock up on rice, dirt cheap there. I buy chickens in the butchers and roast or boil them because chicken breasts are more expensive than property in Chile.

If you don't have a problem with non Irish or non freerange chicken you can pick up bumper packs of chicken breasts in the German discount supermarkets.

I would go 70% chicken and rice to 30% dog feed and gradually increase the dog feed over a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our two had the runs at that age too. Our vet wouldn't vacinate them while they had the runs and concentrated on clearing it up a.. and getting them healthy before putting any further stresson their system. They can get dehydrated pretty easilly.

Ours had been treated for worms - but we tried a second brand of wormer and put them on a diet of rice and chicken for a few days (8 chicken breasts a days they were eating - eating better than us!!). We then weaned them back onto the nuggets when it was solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

rwhen we came home she was dead and there was blood every were my mother wouldn't let us in to the kitchen until she cleaned up and raped the body

WTF???? Tell me the word "raped" is a typo here!!

Draupnir wrote: »
    WTF???? Tell me the word "raped" is a typo here!!

Yes sorry it is wrapped the body is what I meant the kids have a habit of eating over the key board and they get stuck.

Glad to hear your vet is not to concerned and I think the chicken and rice for a while should help his tommy settle although I do advice you to use brown rice or whole grain rice, white rice contains starch which is not good for them, a good quality rice is best, and don't forget to add some carrots, pea's or spinach so he doesn't get constipated on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Is brown rice not high in fiber? This will surely make the runs worse... Some sites say white, some say brown. From experience I'd say white rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well her tummy appear's to have settled for the moment.

I backed off on the dry food and added some pasta to a smaller amount (of dry food) and it seems agreeable.

Personnally I prefare whole grain and think the fibre shoul push through what ever is causing the problem, but like you said each to there own mine love the whole grain in their home cooked meals.

Here's a site that will hopefully clear it up for all of us I haven't had much of a chance to look at it much but it does seem to be run by vets and covers nearly everything you want to know about pets.

http://www.veterinarypartners.com/content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=468

I do advice you to use brown rice or whole grain rice, white rice contains starch which is not good for them, a good quality rice is best, and don't forget to add some carrots, pea's or spinach so he doesn't get constipated on the other hand.

Where did you get that advise from? Was it a vet? OUr vet advsed on keeping it simple with white rice and chicken.

bubby wrote: »
    Where did you get that advise from? Was it a vet? OUr vet advsed on keeping it simple with white rice and chicken.

My own vet advised me to do this when my dog mollie got the runs she was other wise healthy no temp, he said she needed the fats form the veg as well as the vitamins as every thing was getting run out of her, we think it started because of a peace of paper she eat that was packaged in a tray with meat, she eat every thing when she was young and still try's to get that meat paper. I have never been advised to use white foods and my animals get a home meal once a day so I don't have to feed canned food, I give then whole grain or brown and never found that they were runny or to soft fibre helps to regulate the systems and clean them out.

If your advising 80%meat as a full diet even for a sort period this will give the dog constipation, it's OK with cats as they should be on that all ways but dogs need carbs as well as natural carb's from veg or plants so you need to get an even balance and the veg helps to stop this also.

I put up the sight to help all of us to see which is best I wasn't having a go at you, but like humans white foods, such as rice, bread and flour should be ad voided as the starch is not good for them and the process for bleaching takes the goodness out of the food.

I haven't had a chance yet to look to closely at the site but it does seem to be full of proper advise from vets.

Very interesting post BlackCat! So, would you prepare Mollie's food yourself when she is well too? Or do you revert to the dry food?

I wasn't 100% happy with the white rice/chicken solution for too long as I couyld see how they would get constipated very easily. They wolf it down.

Do you have any particular receipe you follow.?

I'm still researching pet nutrition and I'm going to see if I can find a night course some were on it, my vets are great and give me any advise I want I've even sat after hours with them for a cup of tea and they let me drill and get info I want out of them and they give me great support in rescuing animals, as well as I have a friend who is all so a vet but I don't get to speak to them much as they live so far away.

I don't pretend for a minute I know every thing and I'm known to run with my animals when they sneeze I still have a lot to learn even after 18 yrs at the moment I have to relearn the vac's as the man that use to do it (saved me a fortune) is too old now and they all seem to be new.

My animals are on Arden Grange as it is the only one on the Irish market that seems to have the best ingredients and they get a home made meal once a day, from what I can gather it's not just whats in the foods additives, preservative, cereals and wheats etc. but whats not in them seems to be a bigger problem.

I have tryed to write out the info on posts but it takes so long that for some reason it won't post? I'm not great with computers so I've been trying to figure out how I can post a document with the info.

The reason they get home cooked or canned if I can find a descent one is they need to absorb water from it even though they have buckets of water round hear, I think there's a name for it , but it helps stop the likes of cyst's and urinary problems, I was advise by my vet when my old cat got cyst's after she was to old to hunt for her treats and was kept on dry food.

I'll try to post every site I've been working off and then people will have a chance to make up there own minds, but the dog analysis is were it all started from, I ignored the boxer clubs extreme views but learnt how to read the ingredients and lots of animal care sites teach you to read them as well and they all co-inside so you can't go to wrong.

If I don't know an answer to some thing I don't post, I'd never put an animal at risk.

I'll post on some reciepes in the care sheets but this will take time again I don't know how to up load from my e-mails I'll have to take a course in this too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

Get some pro-colin it's will stop the Diarrhoea and contains a probiotic. Also use bio-critical in his water to balance his salts and prevent dehydration. All available fron a vet or veterinary pharmacy. neither need a prescription and will help

Advertisement