Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 fail Maths......

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I would be intersted to see all the untaken availible courses on Monday because of the sheer volume of people that failed.

I for one took the ordinary level paper for more tactical reasons than just lack of ability. Had been getting pretty much D2s for ages and decided I would have a better chance of getting an A1 in pass than the same in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Cateym wrote: »
    Every year I see friends and relations slogging away at HL maths to get what a C3/D1 when they DON'T need it for points or entry requirements.

That is there own fault - maybe said friends/relations should drop there pride :D
    i dont' undestand why they can't see that they have to make honours maths less time consuming

Why?? Plenty of people do fine at honours maths, with not a lot of study. Surely a system should not exist whereby it is so easy to get an A in honours maths that the real mathsy people do not have an opportunity to shine through at the subject they are really good at.
    shoegirl wrote: »
    Well actually, the vast majority of degrees don't actually qualify you to do anything. Many of the skills taught in the maths curriculum don't go on to ever be used again.

I would have to disagree. No offense, but you probably just dont understand maths, so you wouldnt have an idea of its practical applications.
    4Xcut wrote: »
    histiry is useless if you don't care about it, english is useless if you want to do engineering, etc.

Both those subjects make you improve your diction, history forces you to anaylize a situation and present your views on it, much the same for English. With all the paperwork these days and reports to be made, I would be hesitant in calling either "useless".

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭La0Fruitcake

someone help..........im gutted!!! over all my leaving cert was fine but i got e in maths........i dont know what to do....iv appalied for french or spanish in dundalk....does it require maths to, yea???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

turgon wrote: »
    That is there own fault - maybe said friends/relations should drop there pride :D

Why?? Plenty of people do fine at honours maths, with not a lot of study. Surely a system should not exist whereby it is so easy to get an A in honours maths that the real mathsy people do not have an opportunity to shine through at the subject they are really good at.

I would have to disagree. No offense, but you probably just dont understand maths, so you wouldnt have an idea of its practical applications.

Both those subjects make you improve your diction, history forces you to anaylize a situation and present your views on it, much the same for English. With all the paperwork these days and reports to be made, I would be hesitant in calling either "useless".

This is soooo true! Most people dont bother to work for honours maths and this attitude that is prevalent in boards is the reason. Honours maths isnt rocket science!there is no reason why only 5000 do it,its a national disgrace imo :cool: I got a B2 in honours and im happy.
    Plus noone at all should fail ordinary maths if they put in any effort whatsoever. those that do have only themselves to blame
    Big shout out to those few others who did honours maths, i love ye all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

A1 in dumb level maths myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not mathsy in the slightest, but I can just about get by in honours maths. Just about. Tend to average Cs, but I got a nice surprise when I checked the matriculation for the course I want next year and it's actually a D3 in honours maths instead of a C3 like I thought so even if worst comes to worst I should be ok.

I don't agree with making honours maths easier. We have to make students better, or maybe the teachers should go to in services where they are taught about how different stidents learn in different ways and they could learn to teach in different ways. Even though I know I'll never be a good maths student I don't begrudge those people who get things easily and seemingly effortlessly get As.

Advertisement