Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

dinged a merc, how much is this likely to cost to get fixed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Good quote, My wifes car had a similar dent, needed a new 1/4 panel, any where I went said that it could not be fixed but had to be replaced, €3500 plus car hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

:eek::eek:
    Good quote, My wifes car had a similar dent, needed a new 1/4 panel, any where I went said that it could not be fixed but had to be replaced, €3500 plus car hire.

That is absolute madness!:eek:!!
    I got a new boot, quarter panel fitted and sprayed by a very reputable fella for €1400. My god 3500 is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

With regard to the op's dent, a good bodyshop would pull the dent out and 'panel beat' it back to the original shape. They can usually get it very close to the original shape. Then they will use a skim of filler to cover small dents and ripples. Using a big lump of filler is cheaper but it will crack/sink.

Some body shops used lead loading to fill in dents, is this still done?

The actual panel beating takes very little time to complete, its the prep work for spraying that takes the most time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want a final bit of irony, my step dad actually has a garage/bodyshop. he's a very talented mechanic and originally did his apprenticeship as a panel beater way back in the day. :)

unfortunately he's in the UK so he's not much good in this case and since he's a bit of a technophobe with no email access or anything like that I couldn't even send him a pic of the damage for him to look at. :(

anyway, all sorted. even managed to wangle the funds to pay for it, so I'm all set.

he's taking it in on Tuesday to get it done, so I should know how it went two days later.

once he has it sorted I'll get another pic for a before/after shot and see what you guys think of the work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I haven't managed to get a pic yet for the before and after shot, but the job is perfect, you can't even get a hint of any damage from looking at it, the repair job was perfect so both my neighbour and myself are pretty happy about that.

it seems like the old guy in the garage couldn't work the credit card machine, so i didn't get the call yet to pay for it, his son will be in in the next day or so but so far it's pretty good, all things considered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

well done. I was quoted by Toyota 1300 for a small scratch on the q.panel and a door. The estimation looked like this...parts 250, labor 16h x 58 p/h =1178 + VAT! There is no way they spend 16hours working on the car, they simply charge for the time car spends in their garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dainius wrote: »
    well done. I was quoted by Toyota 1300 for a small scratch on the q.panel and a door. The estimation looked like this...parts 250, labor 16h x 58 p/h =1178 + VAT! There is no way they spend 16hours working on the car, they simply charge for the time car spends in their garage.

Holy god, if you read above i got a quarter panel fitted sprayed and a boot sprayed for less than that. Madness

Advertisement