Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A cheap compost bin?

• 12-08-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I'd get a cheap compost bin? I see a 300L one in the Argos catalogue for €45 I think. Anything better or cheaper around? I'm in Cork. Any other advice about composting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Go to your local civic recycling centre, I think all/most county councils sell compost bins at these facilities for half price :)

Be sure to add some pages of newspaper after each deposit to avoid fruit flies. Keep it as far from your house as possible so the fruit flies don't swarm in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 GetGrowing

If you don't mind how it looks, four pallets nailed together make an excellent container for a compost bin. Throw a bit of old carpet over the top of your compost to keep the worst of the rain off.

It's not rodent proof of course - but neither are the green plastic ones if you get a determined rat! The advantage of pallets is that more air gets to your compost than in a plastic 'cone' thus helping the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

If you have small amounts of vegetable waste try a wormery. Easy to make out of any container.

If you have large amounts a bin may not be suitable so go the traditional route as per GetGrowing's advice. I wouldn't take up the old carpet suggestion because one year I tried this and when I whipped it off a large family of rats scattered in every direction! The heat of decomposition attracts them so dont encourage them by building a roof to keep them dry. If you do get a large bin ( for convenience ) make sure it is designed for composting. Ordinary dustbin would have to be customised because no air would get in and the whole lot would turn into a slimy stinking mess.

Good info here, its an American site but the principles are the same ( even got the pallet option!)

Advertisement