Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you fit three child seats in a modern five seat car?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Quick question

We have a two children with one on the way in December the eldest will be just three in October:eek:
    We visited Tony Kealy's pram shop and the expert in there tried every model and combination of seats to suit our needs but he felt it would not be safe and recommended buying a 7 seater! We have 2 cars, a 02 Mazda 6 and a 07 Nissan Qashqai an upgrade would seriously hurt our pockets but if itis the safest option so be it.

My problem is the modern 7 seaters have the last two seats in the boot practically where in the event of a crash items can fly and do just as much damage!!!

Whats the best option??? Any advice welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

There's a few mpv's (reasonably priced ones that is) that'll take 3 child seats across the back - depending on the seats of course which would leave you with a nice big boot for all the luggage that goes with 3 young kids. Look for cars with 3 full size individual seats across the back and bring along the 3 seats to make sure they'll fit. If you're looking to fit 3 iso fix seats side by side then there's even less to choose from - off hand I can only think of the Citroen C4 Picasso (avail as a 5 or 7 seater) or the new Peugeot 308sw (estate car rather than an mpv). Bigger MPVs like the 807, Espace, etc.. might also have 3 iso-fix points across the middle but I've never looked into them as they'd be outside my own budget.

Apart from those you should check out the likes of the s-max, corolla verso, renault scenic, etc.. and see if you can fit the three seats into them.

Others may recommend some more non mpv options - I'm just not familiar with non mpv options that'll take 3 seats comfortably across the middle.

Remember to think about your knuckles too. It's one thing fitting the seats in now as with the eldest being 3 you've prob only got one in a booster seat atm so you won't be too concerned about opening/closing seat belts. But in another year or two that'll change so try to think forwards.

If you're planning to keep for a few years then buy the biggest one you can afford as you'll get more comfort from it as the kids get bigger - e.g. consider a galaxy over an s-max. Or the 7 seater C4 over the 5 seater as you may regret not having that extra bit of boot space. Could be some great deals to be had on 2nd hand models in the current market. And better again could be had with imports if you can shift one of your own cars privately.

Check out ncap ratings, etc.. as well - safety seems to be a good concern of yours and obviously some cars will have better safety ratings that others. Similarly you don't seem to like the idea of one in the back row when there's stuff in the boot and from my own experience I agree fully with you here - which is why I'm suggesting narrowing your choices to those that'll take 3 across the middle if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nodnedlog wrote: »
    We have a two children with one on the way in December the eldest will be just three in October:eek:
    We visited Tony Kealy's pram shop and the expert in there tried every model and combination of seats to suit our needs but he felt it would not be safe and recommended buying a 7 seater! We have 2 cars, a 02 Mazda 6 and a 07 Nissan Qashqai

I'd have guessed either car might be ok, but all cars are different and all seats are different, especially all combinations of all seats :)

So you have the currently used seats for your two children. And you have the seat previously used for when they were newborns. Did you (seriously) try fitting the three seats yourself (never mind Tony Kealy)?

I tried (a bit) before our 3rd was born and I struggled in our small family saloon car (Rover 75) but after trying for real it works fine. That's with a 4 year old, a 1 year old (nearly 2) and a newborn baby

Let us know how you are getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My problem is the modern 7 seaters have the last two seats in the boot practically where in the event of a crash items can fly and do just as much damage!!!

This is an issue in all non saloon type cars. And it's not just the people in the back seats who get hit. Just buy a decent cargo net, make sure and secure everything that can move and it won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Try a Fiat multipla I know there sh!t lookin but they are good and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Most people simply fail to comprehend the situation that parents of 3+ children find themselves in. "Why do you need a 7 seater when you only have 3 kids?" is the question they always ask. "I had 5 adults in my ABC car when I drove down to XYZ over the weekend." Adults ≠ kids, especially young ones that need to be restrained in infant/baby/child seating systems.

I was in your position recently. We shopped around and tried every MPV / (so-called) 7 seater available in our price range. We ended up buying a real 7 seater - VW Caravelle - FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Try a Fiat multipla I know there sh!t lookin but they are good and wide.

+1

Also have 3 kids, and had a Multipla for 7 years from new. Brilliant family car, three full size seats front and rear. The diesel is better than the petrol.

We traded it for an S-Max in January, even better if your wallet will stretch that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Was in the same situation myself, we have a 4yr 3yr and a 10 month old now, my wife had a Ford KA and me a Nissan Primera, as it was my wife that was primarily going to be driving the kids she wanted a new car with room for the kids but not too big either.

We got a Skoda Roomster, strange looking but it can fit the baby seat and 2 full kids car seats in the back just about, plus it still has room for the buggy and some shoping in the back.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/irl/model/roomster/homepage

It has a good Ncap Rating 5 star for Adults 4 Star for kids but only 2 for pedestrians.
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/skoda_roomster_2006/275.aspx

We have the car over a year and half now and I have been continuously impressed with the build quality, reliability and how much stuff you can actually fit into one. sure its not going to beat some of the bigger MPVs but for a practical car with enough room for the kids, bigs windows int he back which the kids love, easy on petrol and cheaper then most other cars in the range, and also there is not many of them around so they a little different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

We were in the same position a few months ago, a 2 and a 4 year old with another one on the way. Wife had a new VW Passat and I had a Volvo S60. Neither would take three seats comfortably. You could squeeze in the three seats in the VW but it was a real struggle and not something that could be done easily. What we had to cosider as well was how close the two older ones would be to the new baby and how easy it would be them to start 'minding' the baby as my 4 year old put it i.e. feeding it, poking it, etc. if they were all in one row. We looked at a few 7 seaters and in the end went for a Toyota Corola Verso (lost about €10k depriciation on a year old Passat as a trade in). The boot is really small when all 7 seats are up - you won't get a buggy in the back!!! We usually drive with baby and one other in the middle row and child three in the rear row of seats. When we have had to fit the three child seats across the middle row it has been quite easy to do. One advantage of the 7 seater is that when you put the 5 rear seats flat you have a van which can be useful. Another advatage which I have only just discovered is that when we are transporting the kids we always use 'Mammys Bus'. My volvo rarely has more than one child in it at any time, this means that I actually do not need a 4 door family car and can know actually look at buying something a little sportier (Alfa Romeo Brera).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

Thanks for all the sound advice. We were thinking that tony kealy was being a bit over cautious, he spoke about the possibility of buckle crunching when the plastic pieces are up against each other during an impact. Also the middle seat in the back is actually a hump in both cars and the child seat never looks very solid on it.

My wife doesn't want to buy a "bus" as she says and a good mpg car would also be a consideration. I like the Qashqai I have at the moment, it has high euro Ncap rating and they are bringing out a 7 seater version in the autumn but it's hard to see if it's roomy enough from the pictures -

http://www.nissan-qashqaiplus2.co.uk/

Good point about the cargo straps, will look into that possibility.

Sorry if I'm a bit shallow but the Multipla is an ugly car! I know it's very practical but the look is also a consideration, same goes for the Skoda (eventhough I've heard fab things about the quality of those cars too).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Thanks for all the sound advice. We were thinking that tony kealy was being a bit over cautious, he spoke about the possibility of buckle crunching when the plastic pieces are up against each other during an impact. Also the middle seat in the back is actually a hump in both cars and the child seat never looks very solid on it.

My wife doesn't want to buy a "bus" as she says and a good mpg car would also be a consideration. I like the Qashqai I have at the moment, it has high euro Ncap rating and they are bringing out a 7 seater version in the autumn but it's hard to see if it's roomy enough from the pictures -

http://www.nissan-qashqaiplus2.co.uk/

Good point about the cargo straps, will look into that possibility.

Sorry if I'm a bit shallow but the Multipla is an ugly car! I know it's very practical but the look is also a consideration, same goes for the Skoda (eventhough I've heard fab things about the quality of those cars too).

Hi - quick one re. Multipla - if you're thinking of bugeyed version it is indeed one only a mother could love, but the facelifted model (guessing came out 2-3 years ago) is a lot easier on the eye. Maybe that should read less offensive on the eye. They're a decent option & might be worth a second look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Sorry if I'm a bit shallow but the Multipla is an ugly car!

My other car is a Kangoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Buy a MPV and get rid of the Qashqai (any real man wouldn't be caught in one) and you sir are definitely a real man with 3 kids in three years fair play to ya!

Buy a cheap 2nd hand Opel Zafira or Ford, Hyundai, not the nicest or best of cars but cheap and you will only need it a few years anyway. My advice is catch the ferry to England and bring back one rather cheaply. Sell the Qashqai (which are actually in demand omg:eek:!) and buy something cheaply like what I have picked out below from the UK then use the equity released from the Qashqai to fund the purchase and invest the rest in a fund for the kids college education (which will cost serious money when their time comes) and top it up monthly out of the children allowance.

You can pick up 7 seaters very cheaply in good condition in the UK, I have searched Autotrader and come up with these around a post code in north london. I advise you go for an automatic diesel, which will give lower running costs than petrol and you will have adequate power coupled to a 2litre engine (lets face it you aren't going to be going too fast with the army in the back) and the auto will be a smooth ride having a car load of screeching kids will be enough stress to handle besides fumbling with gears in Dublin traffic ontop of it all.

Zafira 1
    Zafira 2
    Zafira 3
    Zafira 4
    Zafira 5 Auto

Ford Galaxy 1 Auto
    Ford Galaxy 2

Ford Galaxy 3

Ford Galaxy 4 cheap and low mileage
    Ford Galaxy 5

Best of luck with every thing buddy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

C4 Picasso all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

C4 Picasso all the way...

The advantage of the C4 5 & 7 seater is that the 3 mid seats slide forward & backward independently as does the Toyota Corolla Verso. Dont know what other models do the same but depending on the size of your baby/child/booster seats they should be easier to fit, avoiding back injuries, cursing at the kids as you try to balance them on your knuckles when attaching the buckles.

We went for the C4 7 seater because it was easier to fit our 3 seats. Another thread had no problem with the Corolla.

Check the ncap child safety ratings. Yes, doesnt make much sense using seats 6&7 in the crumple zone, plus most 7 seaters wont have much boot space with seats 6&7 in use.

Advertisement