Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless for Xbox Live

• 13-08-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

what did you all get for the wireless for xbox live??

did you just get the official Xbox one or did you work it yourself?

if you did it yourself can you advise me on what to do?

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I got a wireless bridge off Ebay and it does the job and it was much cheaper than the adapter. The cheaper option would be to get a really long ethernet cable and plug it into the back of the 360 and into the router. This method would get faster speeds than the wireless adapter AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Getting the Wireless adaptor really depends on where your Router is situated to your 360 in your home. Some of my friends have had terrible problems because the signal has to got through lots of walls and as result the quality of the connection is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Dman001 wrote: »
    I got a wireless bridge off Ebay and it does the job and it was much cheaper than the adapter. The cheaper option would be to get a really long ethernet cable and plug it into the back of the 360 and into the router. This method would get faster speeds than the wireless adapter AFAIK.
    So any wireless adaptor will work? i was looking at one on ebay a WET11 but it seems complicated to set up with the xbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

USB Wireless adapters won't work and I am not sure about the others. I don't know much about them, someone elseon Boards should be able help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As a quick fix if you have a laptop with wireless you could bridge the connections between the wireless & wired connection on the laptop, then plug an ethernet cable from the laptop to the xbox... Shows up as a wired connection on the xbox..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

dulpit wrote: »
    As a quick fix if you have a laptop with wireless you could bridge the connections between the wireless & wired connection on the laptop, then plug an ethernet cable from the laptop to the xbox... Shows up as a wired connection on the xbox..
    So how exactly is that done? if i connect the ethernet cable between the xbox and laptop what then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

adamski8 wrote: »
    So how exactly is that done? if i connect the ethernet cable between the xbox and laptop what then?

Then setup a shared Internet connection which may not work depending on whether your wireless adapter in your laptop supports Internet Connection Sharing. I did this at first but it proves infuriating after a while as Windows doesn't seem to like this setup or the Xbox, I didn't work out which. Basically if the 360 was on before the laptop, I had to restart the 360 to get the shared connection working properly. Otherwise it says its connected but wouldn't connect to live.

What you basically want is a Wireless Bridge not a Wireless Adapter as only the official one works. I just got the official adapter, couldn't be bothered with the nonsense of other setups to save a few quid.

Something like this is what you want:
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G810-Ethernet-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0000CEPCH

You use the Ethernet cable (lan cable/networking cable) that comes with the 360, plug it into the Ethernet wireless adapter which the 360 recognises as a network, it then sends the information on to the router wirelessly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Hi

I just bought the wireless Xbox Adaptor for the Xbox Live but am having trouble connecting it - i have Eircom broadband in the adjoining room - yo man in the shop just told me to plug it in the back of the Xbox and away you go but it is not picking up any signal - do i need to set something up on my PC or what steps do i need to take - sorry im a novice with PCs and connections

You need the SSID of your wireless network if it isn't broadcasting it. That is basically the name that shows up on your Pc.

Then you need your WEP key for your eircom connection basically as the password for the connection.

Enter these on the Xbox and it should connect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

brim4brim wrote: »
    You need the SSID of your wireless network if it isn't broadcasting it. That is basically the name that shows up on your Pc.

Then you need your WEP key for your eircom connection basically as the password for the connection.

Enter these on the Xbox and it should connect.

Thanks for the reply but where do i get these ?

• Advertisement

Mont wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but where do i get these ?

Don't know, not an eircom customer.

SSID should appear on your computer when you are connected to the router, right click on two computers in the bottom right and click view available wireless networks.

Whichever your connected to is your SSID.

Your WEP key was probably set by eircom and should be random so you probably have it somewhere from when the eircom engineer first setup the router.

Advertisement