Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo diesels

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:37am

any one know much about the alfa romeo diesels? In particular the 2.4 JTD engine. Heard its a 5 cylinder 10v

are their diesels any good? Heard also that they were the first to put common rail in a passenger car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

any one know much about the alfa romeo diesels? In particular the 2.4 JTD engine. Heard its a 5 cylinder 10v

are their diesels any good? Heard also that they were the first to put common rail in a passenger car

Yep FIAT was the first car company to use common rail with that particular engine in the Alfa 156 back about 10 years or so ago iirc. Back then it was 2V per cylinder, nowadays it is 4V per cylinder, so 20V

Excellent engine. Great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

i passed a diesel alfa 159 on the M7 today it was silver and the entire left hand side of the rear of the car was destroyed from black soot,is this what alfas are really about?

On the engines my mates dad is a total petrol and drove nothing but alfas for as long as ican remember and he now drives a diesel one and raves about it,in the way only an alfa driver could lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

tossy wrote: »
    i passed a diesel alfa 159 on the M7 today it was silver and the entire left hand side of the rear of the car was destroyed from black soot,is this what alfas are really about?

I saw a Mercedes that was dirty and the owner didn't service it regularly and it sounded crap. Is that what owning a Merc is all about.

WTF :rolleyes:

If you go to any of the alfa forums (alfaowner) you will see that they rave about the deisel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I have the 1.9 Mjet 150 bhp and I have to say its the most refined diesel I've had (and I've driven alot), I had some trouble with black smoke and a loss of power but it was a faulty EGR valve and since its been replaced the engine produces far less smoke under hard acceleration than any other diesel I've had.
    Fiat/alfa have led the way in diesel engine advancement for a number of years now and their engines and technology are used in alot of prestige marques.

Highly recomended. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Blindjustice, you are more than welcome to a spin in my 2.4JTD 156 if you are anywhere near Mullingar :D

IMO Fiat and BMW make the best Diesel engines in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

bretttp1 wrote: »
    I have the 1.9 Mjet 150 bhp and I have to say its the most refined diesel I've had

I have the same car (remapped to 170 odd) and I have had no problem at all with it. Its now got 130,000 on the clock. Oil and filter every 6000 and your laughing. These engines are bulletproof and so so powerful. Massive torque, massive acceleration and smooth while doing the beans!!

bottletops wrote: »
    I have the same car (remapped to 170 odd) and I have had no problem at all with it. Its now got 130,000 on the clock. Oil and filter every 6000 and your laughing. These engines are bulletproof and so so powerful. Massive torque, massive acceleration and smooth while doing the beans!!

yep have to agree, my 2003 2.4 10v is on 114,000 miles, remapped to 200bhp and is so smooth and refined for a diesel, it makes some of the more popular diesels on the market sound like a skeleton jerking off on a corrugated steel roof........ ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

siralfalot wrote: »
    yep have to agree, my 2003 2.4 10v is on 114,000 miles, remapped to 200bhp

Thought the 2.4 diesel came with 200bhp as standard and the newer are 210 ?

voxpop wrote: »
    Thought the 2.4 diesel came with 200bhp as standard and the newer are 210 ?

newer ones do, off the top of my head here are the BHPs, (open to correction)

98-01 2.4 10V - 136bhp

01-02 2.4 10V - 140bhp

02-04 2.4 10V - 150bhp

04-06 2.4 20V Mjet - 175bhp

06-08 2.4 20V Mjet - 200bhp

08 onwards 20V Mjet - 210bhp

mine is 03 so 150bhp standard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

++1 - I have the 150Multijet in the Saab 9-3.

Pulls like a train, v.v. impressive - at least on a par with 320d - but the car itself is nicer.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement