Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a query regarding the procedure of place offers! My first choice is a restricted course (actually all my choices are!) which needed a portfolio so I did that and got enough points in the portfolio and I did my LC last year and got enough in that too, and got all the requirements etc. for my first choice. However, it has been brought to my attention that place offers have already been made to those who fell into the round zero category. Could this mean that all the places are filled and possibly no more will be offered to round one applicants? Is round zero for those who have completed a FETAC certificate? I did a portfolio course which was FETAC accredited but never intended on finishing the FETAC cus I just wanted to get the Portfolio outta it cus i knew my LC points were enough, but I put on the CAO that I was doin a FETAC course, cus if I didn't I was told that it was ommiting vital info and my application would be cancelled! so I stuck it down, knowing I wouldn't get any points in it, (obviously cus I wasnt gonna finish it!) and that they'd count my LC points instead cus they were higher (again, obviously!).. So thing is, I don't fall into the "applicants awaiting Leaving Cert results" Category nor the "applicants awaiting FETAC results" category.
    SO WHAT THE HELL DO I FALL INTO?! a pile of ****e it seems now... frown.gif

HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I don't know what your CAO form means, but I know that some art courses (NCAD for example) reserve a certain number of slots for people who have just done the LC, so those places can't be taken up by those who've done FETAC courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Hi,

this is probably of no use to you because it's a mostly non-related tale and doesn't relate to a restricted course but you might get some comfort from it. My mate did his leaving a few years ago and applied for a course through CAO this year based on his old leaving cert results. He is not doing the leaving this year so not awaiting any results. He is over 23 and so had to put down on his form that he was applying as a mature student even though he was happy to base his application solely on his results. He has about 140 points over the course requirement. CAO said he would be withholding vital information if he didn't tick the mature box. He was called for interview in april and told if he passed the interview he would get an offer in round zero. He didn't go for the interview because he was happy to base his application on his results. He got a letter that he would be automatically thrown into the round 1 points system even though he is not awaiting results.

Regarding round zero generally its my understanding that most courses wouldn't offer more than 10-20% of places in round zero. what would be the point doing the leaving if all the places are already gone?

I'd say you like my mate are not in the 'awaiting leaving cert results' category but are still going to be informed on monday at 6am of your success or otherwise. CAO is a computer and when it saw you didnt complete FETAC it automatically flicked over to your next chance of a place which is your old leaving cert results. I'd say check in at 6am monday and if there is no offer check the points required online or in the paper and if you have enough points kick up a racket asap but i'd be surprised based on what my mate was told if its not the same for you.

This is from page 13 of the CAO handbook

Round Zero
    In early August there may be an issue of a small number of offers
    of places which go to certain categories of applicant who are not
    awaiting 2008 examination results or who are assessed on other
    criteria, e.g. mature applicants. (Applicants presenting FETAC
    (2002-2008) for consideration for entry to courses with a quota
    for FETAC applicants may also be included at this stage.)

note on the second last line 'courses with a quota for FETAC applicants'. I would say its highly unlikely all places are filled. You got the letter because you failed to satisfy the FETAC requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

Hi,

Actually that is quite reassuring!... Thank You!...:)

I also emailed CAO in a panic last night, lol, and they said it was all good!... so I'm a bit more relieved now!...

Thanxx again for taking the time 2 reply :)

Advertisement