Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bright star in sky

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

this is the first time i've posted in this section so apologies to all for my ignorance. coming south along the M1 from balbriggan tonight i saw a bright star or possibly a planet to the north west- or at the "11 o'clock" position to the moon,what is this star / planet?.. and how would I get a better understanding of the stars etc?. ie astronomy for dummies. I've a hideaway in cavan and on a clear night the sky is nothing short of spectacular..such a waste to be gazing and not knowing whats going on.. although the sheer wonder of it is reward enough..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The very bright object near the moon last night was the planet Jupiter. You got your directions wrong by the way. If you were coming south along the M1, then you were facing south and both Jupiter and the moon were towards the south last night, as they will be again tonight. If it is clear, go and have a look. If by any chance you own a pair of binoculars, have a closer look at Jupiter. You might just about be able to see some of its moons. Also if you go outside, face northwards and keep your eyes out for some meteors. If you are reading any of the other threads here, you may know that we are going through a meteor shower this week, and there will be an eclipse on Saturday. I know this was your first visit, but keep coming back as there is always something to be seen in the night skies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

thanks for that reply flukey..
    I must go and get some binoculars. especially as the skies over our place in cavan are fantastic...
    my directions were "illustrative".. ie I meant the northwest corner of the moon as I was looking at it... ie "11 oclock...." not in terms of where I or the moon was.
    I'll look for a good starter astronomy book next time i'm in easons....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's over a week since I made that last post, but the meteors are still going. I just happened to see one when I was at my bedroom window a short time ago. I also saw two satellites flying parallel to each other, with one of them a bit further behind the other. All of that, in just a few minutes. It's quite clear here in Dublin tonight and Jupiter is an easy sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Which planet is in the the South at the moment. Venus?

Advertisement