Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanting to study Law in UCC, too late to change CAO :(

• 13-08-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

I have Arts in UCC as my number one choice on the CAO. This is considerably lower points than Law, but over the summer (after the CAO deadline) I realised that Law is what I want to study and is the course I should have placed at the top of my CAO.

What I'm wondering is if transfers are possible, if the points are achieved and someone drops out? Also, if this is true, is it likely to occur within the first month or so, making it possible?

I realise that hope is optimistic, but I'm unsure of what to do next year, whether to do my Arts degree or not, or to defer for a year and to reapply to the CAO the following year.

I know that it is possible to become a solicitor without having studied Law at University, however I am certain that this is what I now want. As jobs as solicitors aren't plentiful at the moment, I want to study Law at 3rd level and to now waste my time doing a course that I merely picked as I was unsure of what direction to follow. I am aware that you can do a one year course following a degree, to prepare you for the FE1 exams, but I do not wish to go in this direction.

I rambled on alot.. Anyway, my main question is in paragraph 2 concerning internal transfers. Advice appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Transfers are very difficult, can't give you a definite answer to weather they are possible or not but I would say no in this scenario

In my opinion you would be better off trying to work in a solicitors office for some of the year, this will be hard to get into but offer to work for free for a while maybe, and work on your computer and typing skills before you start. Then you could do law next year (if you still want to).

I used to do law in UCC for a while so if you have any questions you can ask me

Advertisement