Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A Pet Pig

Options
  • 13-08-2008 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Anyone know a place where you can buy the small breed of pigs? Not for meat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Anyone know a place where you can buy the small breed of pigs? Not for meat.

you'l need a department of agriculture herd number before they will let you buy a pig so they will. there are some small brreds in the west of ireland as far as i am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Thanks, It's not something I'm definate on doing, just looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stevoman wrote: »
    you'l need a department of agriculture herd number before they will let you buy a pig so they will. there are some small brreds in the west of ireland as far as i am aware.
    I don't think the OP intends in getting a herd of pigs :confused:

Ya I didn't think you needed a herd number for A pig, I'm talking about one pet pig like a vietnamese pottbellied pig. Not the massive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i think you will still need a pig number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

don't know much about pigs but they probably need company so you might need 2?
    and you'll probably need to register each pig in case of a foot & mouth outbreak or whatever. you could always buy a couple of piglets to save them from becoming meat, they are often advertised in our local paper anyway.....although they might be large breed like large whites, there are probably smaller breeds too.

Ya it would be more the small ones I'd be looking for, wouldn't have enough room for the large ones. Only have just over half an acre. Thanks for the info, will pass it on to my parents and they can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I don't think the OP intends in getting a herd of pigs :confused:

yes he does need a herd number, i would know, its my job. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Ya it would be more the small ones I'd be looking for, wouldn't have enough room for the large ones. Only have just over half an acre. Thanks for the info, will pass it on to my parents and they can sort it out.
    you will need two as they need company thet also have to be warm and dry.And you do need a pig number which isnt a problem just ring up to dublin for one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree they do need company they can get bored so need things like footballs to keep them busy. Some people use hard wearing kids toys that make noises they love to root around so the field will become muddy and prob need to section it off in at least two parts so when one part gets too muddy they can be moved.

Some people use Pig Arks which are moveable and easy to clean. Some of the larger hardware/farm shops do them.
    Website for examples of pig arks http://www.pig-arcs.co.uk/standard-pig-arc.html

They do starter pig kits as well http://www.pig-arcs.co.uk/pig-starter-kit.html

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, we usually get all our pets in twos or more for company as I believe they should be with their own kind. We have two rabbits, two ducks, nine chickens, two cats and one dog but that's different. So I'll pass on the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Just had a thought lol. Aren't there a small breed of pigs called Kune Kune? *goes to google*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phison

im currently looking for a pet kune kune but cant find them aywhere ! any one know where id find one ? or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Stevoman is spot on re the herd number. You need to register with the Department for alot of other animals as well such as sheep or even goats and chicken.

Regardless of whether you are keeping the pig as a pet or are a commercial pig keeper.

It's vital in case of a disease outbreak.

Advertisement