Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd food in OZ/NZ

Options
  • 13-08-2008 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Not that odd, but people in NZ love pies.

Pie pie pie pie.
    They can't live with out pie.
    Crazy!

Ok, the pies are good. But it doesn't beat a breakdat roll :D

I have yet to have a Hangi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi

But I will at some stage. Sounds really tasty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Vegimite
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 to Vegemite. Absolutely manky stuff.

I'm nominating pumpkin. Wtf is the obsession with it?! Pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread....it's in everything! And it's also horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm nominating pumpkin. Wtf is the obsession with it?! Pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread....it's in everything! And it's also horrible.

I think they got the whole pumpkin thing from the yanks. They love their butternut squash and pumpkins.

What about the Aussie burger though, basically a burger with a fried egg on it

Beetroot on burgers are the way of teh future!!!!!
    Aussie burgers are awesome, beef, bacon, beetroot, egg & cheese = Heaven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Xavi come on we're not going to listen to your opinions on vegetables!! Roasted pumpkin, roasted butternut squash, kumara etc. are all DELICIOUS and a welcome addition to the boring sunday roasts we have with 17 variations of potato.

NZ was all about the pies. I never met anyone who actually had a hungi though, even the maori cuzzy bros I knew. My maori mate makes "boil-ups" sometimes, which is basically a load of cheap lamb bones with bits of meat on it thrown in a big pot with cress and other crap and "dough-boys". It's very poor food really, like something you'd eat during the famine, but he reckons it's "man food".

Other maoris I worked with, fat bastards of course, would make pie sandwiches at lunchtime, i.e. a meat pie between 2 slices of bread with maybe some sauce and butter in there too. Talk about a heart attack sandwich, cuz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Pumkin soup is quite nice and good for you too!

They're mad into Lamingtons and any AFL games I've been to I see them eating these weird deep fried sausage things that have some sort of cheese wrapped around it, I'm not sure the name for them but they look rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The whole NZ "morning tea" thing is weird but great. If anone leaves work or anything is to be celebrated we get a morning tea. Which involves getting loads of sweet and savoury nibbles (as rabies said mini pies always feature heavily!) in at 10.30am. What's awesomer is I'm the one that orders all the food so I just get what I like best!

My father-in-law has been to a lot of hangis. He teaches in a Maori school and on all trips away they have these. He said he's bring me to one which it'd be great. He said it makes the meat so tasty it falls off the bone.

Lambingtons are horrible. As is lolly cake. Can't understand the obsession with them.

What's yummy in NZ is L & P, pineapple lumps, grainwaves and Hell Pizza.

hell pizza is quite good. Not a fan of L&P. There's a town up north in the Bay of Plenty where it comes from, and it has a giant L&P bottle ooooooh, that's it's claim to fame, it's not even that big anyway, I think it's in kati kati on the way to the corromandel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

watna is suffering severe diet coke withdrawal symptoms... L&P happened to be there when she needed it most ;)

spent my afternoon makeing pikelets with the kids today, god those things are good.
    love my morning and afternoon kai, excellent mealtime ideas :P
    Hell Pizza is expensive but worth every penny. excellent veggie section too, and the vegan one is delicious.
    pineapple lumps are awesome.. ihave no idea why everyone was telling me about perky nanas when i got here, when what they really should have been doing was talking about pineapple lumps. i love how they put marshmallow in so much stuff too. mmmmmmmm....... marshmallow...

and hey... is it just my ignorance, or are those little red sausages... 'cheerios'... a kiwi thing?

they call those sausages "little boys" too, how f*cked up is that?!?!

• Advertisement

im trying to remember what they call the ones with purple 'skin' instead of red... twas something odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

and WHAT is their obsession with avocado????

i LOVE avocado, never ate it till I went to NZ, now I put it in all my sandwiches and on burgers etc., it's a wonder fruit

i admit, i'd never heard of it til i got here, then all of a sudden, it was in season, and everywhere.

Ditto! I thought I was just ignorant when it came to some veg that are really popular over here ..

Chicken and avocado rocks.
    Roast pumpkin & sweet potato rocks - esp in winter
    Oh and eggplant too!

I feel sick reading this.

/goes off to get a Mrs. Mac's meat pie

Has anyone else had a feijoa? They're quite strange green fruit.

nearly forgot...

fush n chups! it's all burgers and that back home, but they're big into their fish here.\
    and the way they wrap them! a brown paper bag? not for kiwis. you either just open it all up in the middle of the floor, or poke a hole in the top, and nibble through there :D

watna wrote: »
    Has anyone else had a feijoa? They're quite strange green fruit.

oh, oh, wait. that's what i was thinking about when i was talking about avocado :o

feijoas are nice yeah. You can get feijoa vodka there too. They don't know what feijoas are in Australia.
    Yeah fush 'n' chups are really good over there, I thought the fish in NZ was fantastic, much better than at home and you can get a nice piece of fish for dirt cheap. Up around the BOP has the best f&c shops i've ever been in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hangi is v yum - if you get a chance, try it.

What about those honey kiwis that are yellow on the inside - very nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Mmmmm Pie, I love Mrs Mac's Beef Cheese and bacon, well basicly anything that comes out of the smoko van in the morning. pie floaters, thats a pie, with peas and sauce filled into the gap at the top, Delicious.

also I like Lift.

Lift is good but I'm more of a Solo man myself.

And Mountain Dew. God I love Mountain Dew during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    feijoas are nice yeah. You can get feijoa vodka there too.

42 Below do the Feijoa vodka, along with manuka honey, kiwi fruit and passion fruit flavours.

Great vodka :D

I like Golden Kiwis over the normal ones we usualy get in Ireland. Nice and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What's yummy in NZ is L & P, and Hell Pizza.

Oh god yes! I am going back to New Zealand in February for a few months. Have some time left on my WHV from two years ago. Staying with my old flatmates in Welly, first port of call is Hells Pizza, a large mordor and a bottle of l&p well worth the 5000 mile flight :)

Oh god yes! I am going back to New Zealand in February for a few months. Have some time left on my WHV from two years ago. Staying with my old flatmates in Welly, first port of call is Hells Pizza, a large mordor and a bottle of l&p well worth the 5000 mile flight :)

We're out of l & P and now I really want some. I don't want it enough to go to the shops though!

My hell pizza of choice is the Grimm. Chicken, cream cheese, apricot sauce, spring onions and pinenuts. You certainly wouldn't get that anywhere at home! It puts Dominoes to shame.

p.s. it's about 11,000 miles from Dublin to Wellington. Still worth it for l & p though!

L&P *blugh*

I'm a fan of Chi' Herbal Water. MMMMmmmmm
    And 42 Below Feijoa Vodka when out in the pub :D

Rabies wrote: »
    L&P *blugh*

I'm a fan of Chi' Herbal Water. MMMMmmmmm
    And 42 Below Feijoa Vodka when out in the pub :D

I'm going to try some of this feijoa vodka. I'm presuming you can get it in Wellywood.

Feijoas have a strong flavour, the vodka has a flavourable taste to it.

Ask for it in a bar the next time you're out.
    A lot of people drink it with apple juice.

I find it tastes great with a couple of mint leaves muddled on 3 lime ledges and served with lemonade. Great summer drink.

http://www.42below.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

hussey wrote: »
    Ditto! I thought I was just ignorant when it came to some veg that are really popular over here ..

Chicken and avocado rocks.
    Roast pumpkin & sweet potato rocks - esp in winter
    Oh and eggplant too!

Wait till it gets to Christmas. They seem to all eat fish on christmas day... its sick really.

Advertisement