Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd food in OZ/NZ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

tallaght01 wrote: »
    and WHAT is their obsession with avocado????

Because we can actually grow them :)

Theres one thing I really miss from Aus though.

Party Pies. Tiny square pies filled with delicious meat. Mmmmm.

Also a recommendation for any who have no done so.

Get a load of calamari and seafood sticks from a chicken shop (or "chipper" as ye call it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

watna wrote: »

p.s. it's about 11,000 miles from Dublin to Wellington. Still worth it for l & p though!

Aye forgot that bit ;) two 5000 mile odd hops for me the last time, London - Los Angeles - Auckland all in one go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

closer to 13,000 miles if you go by the east... 11,000 as the crow flies... but low budget airlines dont tend to take the crow's route :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

chicken parma.

im sorry. what?

a fried breaded chicken breast, with what amounts to tomato, cheese and ham pizza topping on top.

and yet, quite tasty :)

and ice coffee.
    oh yes on the ice coffee.

thumbs up on the ice coffee.

yes. indeed.

a friend (also not from here, but living here longer than me) mentioned deep fried icecream, or at least fried icecream to me the other night. i will let ye know how awesome it is after i've tried it, but it sounds awesome.

also, memphis meltdown.

awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Have to chime in to say: Vegemite is awesome!

*reclaims procasinator's irish passport*

you wont be needing htat anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Vegemite is lovely, but you have to have very, VERY small amounts. For instance, the current advert where the bloke is dispensing it like a swirly from an ice-cream tap, with his open mouth underneath, makes me retch.

The snot block. Charming name for a custard slice I think - about 1.5 inches of gelatinous, set custard between two slices of puff pastry sprinkled with icing sugar. Then cut into 2" serving squares. Haven't been able to eat it since I heard it called a snot block tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

*reclaims procasinator's irish passport*

you wont be needing htat anymore.

Haha

Disclaimer: I'm a native of Australian that moved to Ireland, which probably explains my lack of taste. I do have an Irish passport too though, and I'll be needing that back *yoink*.

Has anyone had a Kranski yet?

I miss their bright red sausagy goodness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    hell pizza is quite good. Not a fan of L&P. There's a town up north in the Bay of Plenty where it comes from, and it has a giant L&P bottle ooooooh, that's it's claim to fame, it's not even that big anyway, I think it's in kati kati on the way to the corromandel.

The place your thinking of his Paeroa, L&P stands for 'Lemon and Paeroa'. . as its from there and it has a lemon flavour.

I miss the stuff. . pity you can't buy it in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The kranski... only thing worse: the CHEESE kransky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

- Feijoa vodka and apple juice is yummy.
    - L&P is yummy too.
    - Pies are good. It didn't quite match a breakfast roll when really, really hungover.
    - I don't get the pumpkin thing either. I like the soup but I don't like it roasted.
    - Kumara is another thing I haven't gotten used to. I don't like that it's so sweet. Uck comes to mind.
    - I've become a fan of pineapple lumps. The first time I tasted them I thought they were bleurgh but now it's all smiles when I get offered them.
    - Morning teas are great. I'm off sick from work today and am missing one. boooo
    - Vegemite is the span of satan haha The OH loves the stuff and every morning he has penut butter and vegemite toast. Typing that made me vomit in my mouth a little.
    - I love how the fruit is so fresh and seasonal. I couldn't believe how juicy and fresh the apples were when I first came over here. It sounds daft but it was the first time I've eaten an apple and gone 'so apples can taste like apple juice' haha
    - Strawberries and chocolate at Christmas is delicious.
    - Kiwi wine has got to be the best wine in the world. I can't wait for the summer when I'll be getting back into the Pinot Noir. It's very much been merlot and shiraz/syrah the last few months.
    - I LOVE that you can order bubbles (sparkling wine) by the glass!!!
    - I'm not a huge fan of Hell pizza. I much prefer the pizzas from pizza pomodoro in Welly.
    - I do miss chocolate though. It just doesn't taste quite the same here.

I love Kiwiland :)
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ferg burger in Queenstown! Omg the biggest burger I've ever tried to eat and I got the smallest one! Boyfriend made the mistake of ordering a side onion rings- I made him eat it all for being so greedy!! heheheh

Roasted pumpkin, oh yeah!! Soup, oh no!!

Chicken and Avocado is the best thing ever, could live on that forever and be happy.

Dark chocoalte and cherries? Cherry Ripes - me hates them but anyone I brought them back for loves them.

Pies, pies and more pies. Pizza pie anyone? Yes in Williams bakery, Chapel Street in Melbourne!

Ice Coffee ftw!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Vodka lemon lime and bitters - never heard of biter before Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not so much different food, but something we don't have at home and I love - Red feckin Rooster!!!

My usual consists of two double cheeseburgers, large chips and a bottle of Coke. Goin grab me some of that shizzle on lunch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you can get really good swordfish and tuna steaks here in melbourne, just in a safeway. There's a fish called Kingfish which is the best fish I've ever tasted, caught a rake of it when charter fishing in NZ, I think it might be around these waters too. Anyone tried kingi??

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not so much different food, but something we don't have at home and I love - Red feckin Rooster!!!

My usual consists of two double cheeseburgers, large chips and a bottle of Coke. Goin grab me some of that shizzle on lunch!

Hawaiian meal! = Chicken + Chips with chicken salt + Pineapple Fritter + Banana Fritter.

I HATE YOU ALL FOR STARTING THIS THREAD.

*cries with homesickness*

The kranski... only thing worse: the CHEESE kransky...

:eek:

It is something of wonder... Something I have never encountered.

Although it does sound a bit rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

hussey wrote: »
    Vodka lemon lime and bitters - never heard of biter before Oz

ya can get bitters in Sainsburys up the North. I love that drink, even without the vodka!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yep, the Cheese Kransky really did put me off them for life, which is a shame cos I really liked Kranskies.

one thing about Red Rooster is their ads tho, probably dosent mean anything to most of you but their ' Go the Big Red' slogan freaks me out

because

that was David whatisfaces pet name for Pauline Hanson <shudders>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

the thing on a stick is called a puppy i think.
    Also premixed drinks, awesome :D the Jack D even comes in a mini Jack D bottle.
    What about risoles?
    And how about garlic dip for pizza, i havent found garlic dip anywhere else in the world except ireland and norway, i fecking hate this ranch suace stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Does anybody know why Fanta is such a weird colour here. The first thing you notice as a FOB is how big the cans of coke are compared to the 330ml ones we get at home.

You can't get any Moro's either, there are boosts but they aren't the same and I miss Lion bars!

Has anybody tried out the "sipping tea through a tim tam" method yet? Me, I just eat the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Coileach dearg, are you based in NZ or OZ?

NZ has Moro bars.

Ya, cans are bigger here. 350ml is standard.

I'm in Australia. Sh!te I'm moving to NZ so for the moros!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

375ml cans and 600ml bottles in Oz :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I'm in Australia. Sh!te I'm moving to NZ so for the moros!

Moro are actually Cadburys version of Mars .. they are awesome, Irish moros are called Boost over here and it is probably the worst bar of all time
    (as my fav is the irish Boost)

375cans Rock Ze Boat!

What is the fascination with putting salt & pepper on sandwiches. I've only noticed this is Australia. For example you go into a deli and ask for a sandwich and they ask you at the end if you want salt & pepper on it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »

Went into one of these recently ,sat down with my food and the man walked past me carrying 2 soiled tampon bins.

Kinda ruined the experience.:mad:

• Advertisement

Went into one of these recently ,sat down with my food and the man walked past me carrying 2 soiled tampon bins.

Kinda ruined the experience.:mad:

Was it like a red rag to a bull.........oh jesus i'm out of here quick!

Advertisement