Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd food in OZ/NZ

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What is the fascination with putting salt & pepper on sandwiches. I've only noticed this is Australia. For example you go into a deli and ask for a sandwich and they ask you at the end if you want salt & pepper on it:confused:

QFT. Always gets a 'no' from me.
    Went into one of these recently ,sat down with my food and the man walked past me carrying 2 soiled tampon bins.

Kinda ruined the experience.:mad:

Didn't realise Red Rooster did jam sambos too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

What is the fascination with putting salt & pepper on sandwiches. I've only noticed this is Australia. For example you go into a deli and ask for a sandwich and they ask you at the end if you want salt & pepper on it:confused:
    That is a goooood example. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Have to admit I'm a big fan of the salt and pepper on a sandwich. Depends very much on the sandwich though. I wouldn't exactly be putting it on a ham and cheese but on a chicken salad it's delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ive worked for elderly people in dublin who demanded salt and pepper on tomato sandwiches. my fella does it too, but i never had it down for a kiwi thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

a chicken roll without salt and pepper simply isnt a chicken roll. black pepper is too underrated in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

mrDuke wrote: »
    the thing on a stick is called a puppy i think.
    Also premixed drinks, awesome :D the Jack D even comes in a mini Jack D bottle.
    What about risoles?
    And how about garlic dip for pizza, i havent found garlic dip anywhere else in the world except ireland and norway, i fecking hate this ranch suace stuff.
    Called Pluto Pups iifc. Yummy...

Rabies wrote: »
    Coileach dearg, are you based in NZ or OZ?

NZ has Moro bars.

Ya, cans are bigger here. 350ml is standard.

Loved those big cans. Just back from Egypt though, and they basically beat everyone cause they have 500ml cans of Coke! They are fcuking awesome.
    I came to the comclusion a long time ago that 330ml is not enough to accompany any meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

750ml bottle of beer beats all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I love avocadoes. How much are they in Ireland? They are $1.99 here but I think they were cheaper in NZ. Why are people getting fussed about salt and pepper on a sandwich ffs!! You guys are probably people who bring ham and butter sandwiches to work!

Ham, butter and cheese......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

....with Taytos....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

add a little bit of pineapple and make it extra tasty

edit:
    without the taytos
    Taytos should be enjoyed alone on bread

You're all freaks. I have a lemon tree in my back garden, that's cool. And a mandarin tree I had in NZ in my yard. Why did people settle in ireland at all, where all you can grow is feckin' potatoes!

Same here. Lemon tree, mint, peppers, basil, rosemary, and a few more random bits in my back garden.

But no Tayto Cheese and Onion plant :-(

Speaking of which. I find it very hard to find cheese and onion flavoured crisps in this country.

Really? I've just cracked open a bag of Smith's Cheese & Onion. Not the same as Tayto but does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I have a Tayto tree in my back yard....so there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Rabies wrote: »
    add a little bit of pineapple and make it extra tasty

Yes, awesome!
    A Ham cheese and pineapple sambo is great. Basically a Hawaiian sandwich.

Not here.
    There was a brand that did them. Now I can't find them anymore, not even in the supermarkets.
    Haven't had a cheese and onion sandwich in months.

Seriously, crisp sandwiches, this isn't the 80s anymore! Expand your palets!! What is it with fascination with Tayto anyway? I don't eat crisps much but the smiths ones are grand, and they have your beloved Cheese and Onion.

It's just somethin you grew up on. And sure you know the Irish, they love anything familiar that wreaks of home.

My ma used to feed me bread, milk, and sugar, in a bowl, for some reason. Jesus what was that all about, it was horrible. Ok we were all poor in the 80s but not that bleedin' poor! I'll have to have a word with her next time we speak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    My ma used to feed me bread, milk, and sugar, in a bowl, for some reason.

Haha, maybe she didnt really like you?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Laa dee daa with yer bowls. We had to get the milk straight from the cows teets! Many a fine day I spent under a cow and emerged with a milky mustache!

< ---
    <3
    80's

Advertisement