Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPA Prof 1 Repeats

• 13-08-2008 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone here doing CPA Prof 1 repeats?

I have Law and Auditing.

Apparently only 36% of people who sat the Law paper passed...bit of a joke! I was speaking to a lecturer and she said that some sections of it were very unfair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

Im doing management and strategy from the old sylabus. Last paper was a joke. Most of the questions didnt come from the core text.

My favourite quote from the educators briefing is:
    "Students should read widely and selectively"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Yep, I have the pleasure of sitting Mgt and Strat as well. Just cant wait, as its such an enjoyable and useful subject!!! And the exams they give are so fair.

I got on to the institute there last week asking them what the pass rate was for it in April but I never got a reply

Of all the people I knew sitting this in April, no one passed it.

The best thing is, we sit this exam then have to start p2 not knowing if we can continue as it takes them so long to get the results out.
    If we fail this time we are out. The last 2 years wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

G-CBHV wrote: »
    "Students should read widely and selectively"

What more advice could you need! :D

Also was reading up about the new syllabus yesterday (in the hope that I do get through!) and it seems that the transition students wont have a choice on what subjects they do at P2.

"Professional 2

Professional 2 Stage (New Syllabus first examinable in April 2009)
    Transition Students at Professional 2 stage, i.e.

• Students who will have completed and passed the Professional 1 CPA Syllabus of Examination 2007, or the P1 Transition Syllabus
    examined in 2008, or

• Students who will carry modular passes from the 2007 Professional 2 syllabus into the examinations in 2009, will be required to
    sit and pass the equivalent remaining examination(s), as shown in Table 3 below, in the CPA Syllabus 2009.
    These transition students will not have any elective option available to them.
    "

Nice eh? And i thought I was done with auditing!!!! At least we wont have to choose which subjects to do.

We will be doing Advances Corporate Reporting, Audit Practice ans Assurance Services, Advanced Tax & Financial Management (transition paper for 2009 only)

The question is will the classes work out? timetables ect, as we will be doing 3 of the "elective" subjects
    And oh yea, they are open book exams with question 1 been a case study worth 50%

Hopefully we will find out next yr though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annemar23

im repeating Law, got 50%in auditing thank gos, thats interesting about the pass rate in Law,most ppl i've spoken to failed it, one person i know got 50%. it was a really tricky paper, where did you study for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Studied in Griffith Cork.

How are you approaching your study for it? Any tips??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

steelbar wrote: »

Hopefully we will find out next yr though.

Do ye know if CPA are getting rid of the 4 sittings rule? Now would be a good time to change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annemar23

very little preparation has been done so far, off work from tomor so hopefully that will give enough time. don't think you can rely on the book at all, have printed lots of info from websites mentioned on the educators briefing, Office of the director of corporate enforcement etc. was looking at the solutions to the april exam and the level of detail is extreme i think, referring to specific sections of the companies act.. don't know how a human being can be expected to memorise so much detail. i know the solutions do go a bit overboard in general but quite a lot of detail seems to be expected of us in this exam.. Im nervous!
    regarding the 4 sittings rule, i am working with someone who is sitting a prof2 exam for the 5th time and it would be the 6th sitting, so this rule can be appealed, he just had work write a letter on his behalf..

Well we cant avoid it any longer, kick off is tomorrow morning.

Best of luck to ye all, hopefully ye will all be back for P2 in a few weeks!

Advertisement