Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Pentathalon

Options
  • 11-08-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Are there any riders in the equestrian show jumping that are good swimmers? Or any that are handy with a gun? It probably seems like a silly question but modern pentathlon is shooting, swimming, fencing, show jumping and running all in one. If there are some fit riders that are just below olympic standard at show jumping they would annhiliate the pentathlon showjumping section and could be brought up to speed in the other areas. Just a bit of outside the box thinking on my part.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

is tetrathlon not an olympic sport aswell?

running swimming, shooting and showjumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

skink wrote: »
    is tetrathlon not an olympic sport aswell?
    No, tetrathlon is not an Olympic sport, but the events in the modern Pentathlon (which is an Olympic sport) are fencing, shooting, swimming, showjumping and cross-country running.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

Pride Fighter, I have never heard of this discipline, Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    I pride myself at being a dab hand at Showjumping, Shooting, Swimming and running, all i would need to catch up with is the fencing.
    Do you have any details as to where i could get more info on the modern pentathlon or how I would get involved ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Pride Fighter, I have never heard of this discipline, Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    I pride myself at being a dab hand at Showjumping, Shooting, Swimming and running, all i would need to catch up with is the fencing.
    Do you have any details as to where i could get more info on the modern pentathlon or how I would get involved ?:confused:

http://www.irishfencing.net/clubs/clubs.html
    There, and there is one in NUIG for you to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 purechancer

hi
    i was woundering how to get in to modern pentathlon i know theres one this weekend but i personaly competed in the IPC tetrathlon last weekend so couldnt make it do you have a website ect i could contact ?? thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Here is the website: http://www.mpaireland.com/

The organisation has only been going for a few years in Ireland, but there are some very good and passionate people involved who are doing great things, building on a great record in pony club tetrathlon. They're now getting funding from the olympic council, so it is very possible that we will have Irish athletes competing in this discipline at the olympics in another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The showjumping side of it in Beijing didn't look too hot anyway. They rode borrowed horses provided by the hosts so it was a bit of a gamble regarding what horse you were on.
    The course looked to be around 1m 20 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I can't watch the clip, but I'm assuming it shows the messy bit of the men's SJ in Bejing? That was a bit of a disaster, and there was a fuss about it afterwards. It is a bit of a lottery in the way it is done, but if the horses are all decent it shouldn't be a problem. That's why the fences aren't too high.

But it's like any of the multiple discipline events - the winner will be a good all rounder, rather than top class in any single event, so the competitors aren't top show jumpers. Internationally, people tend to get involved through other disciplines and learn to ride to compete in MP. In Ireland, because the Pony Club has a strong tetrathlon history, lots of people come into the sport from an equestrian background and tack on other disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I heard the jumps range between 90cm and 1.10m.

Don't you just get given a random horse at these events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

I contacted the main body for Irish Pentathlon a while back, never got a reply! I used to shoot for my college (small bore and full bore), I've run three marathons, show jump on my own horse, fence epee as often as I can (was ranked in the UK), hate swimming but can and do it. Yet the main body that governs them obviously doesn't want to encourage the older generation. Shame really as pentathlon brings together most of my main pursuits:confused:

Advertisement