Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The plague

Options
  • 13-08-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Ok, not quite that dramatic.....But has the use of "bunnyhopping" gone over the top?

I am a Quake player so quite used to the notion of strafejumping / bunnyhopping. Originally an exploit found but it has been toned down in recent versions. However, I am interested in the whole competitive gaming scene.

Having not played or seen CS in a number of years I was watching some demos. A game touted as a "realistic" game (not asking for perfect realism or anything) is now overrun by bunnyhopping. It does not look right to see terrorists and counter-terrorists bounding around the map.

Same in Call of Duty with clever jumping tricks used to hop from ground to wall to ledge to windowsill!

The other day a friend told me of a game (cannot remember name now) where you jump, prone, hit ground, jump to bunnyhop. a) How do you find out THIS particular technique (up to now, most have used either strafe or crouch) b) Why is this kind of thing left in "realistic" video games.

On the competitive side of things, people have debated why Quake is not at the same level as CS (and it could be argued, CoD) - the answer was usually that if you load up a Quake game, it's 1v1 and there is often such a large skill gap. Unlike CS where you can join a random game for a couple of rounds...But is this the case anymore when players are exploiting this to get from one side of the map to the other in seconds. Or leap around corners quickly and silently...

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

BF2 is imo the worst...

To dodge bullets you just sprinted around in circles jump and going prone... most of the time it is impossible to hit them cause the reg and hitboxes are so poor.

In CSS or COD4 havn't seen much of it happen really.
    TBH just remove the jump all together ! and replace it with the "mount the object" button !
    What kinda soldier can jump from ledge to ledge in reality with a backpack on full of playdude magazines, steriods, bombs, bullets, sleeping bag, and ky jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

First off, YOU CANNOT BUNNY HOP IN COD4! The act of bunny hopping as it is known is not possible in cod4, many people jump around objects at shoot but this isn't bunny hopping.

BF2 is rampant with it, but since it really has become part of the clan scene you either live with it and learn it or lose. I've been kicked and banned from so many bf2 servers for doing this, unfortunately its just the habit i've learned to play with so I stick to mostly servers that aren't retarded and realise to play with it rather than knee jerk reaction it and kick for the slightest jump, although there are dumber rules on bf2 servers, like kicking the commander if he fights on infantry only servers.... :rolleyes:

Others games it exists in and players have come to deal with it, with a lot of games it will always exist, until the developers find a way to cut it out, some people refer to it as an exploit in most games, I for one think its a player getting as much of an advantage within the game boundaries as he can, its better than people with aimbots and various other hacks. :pac:

Advertisement