Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Car Prices Go Into Freefall

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

As an aside, did anyone see the prices quoted for the 3yr old Porsche Cayenne Turbo in the piece? Some dealer saying it would be "€200,000" new and he cant sell it now for "€40,000"???

I'd love to see such a car.

A Turbo S Tiptronic is €210,000 new. Here's one for €110,0000, nearly 50% depreciation in a year. I can believe that 2 more years would drop that some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Mad Dog wrote: »
    Like the house prices it is now a buyers market and great for consumer.

Can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy though with the motor trade who have been having it too good for so long now.

Yeah its a buyers market all right provided you have the money or can get the money to buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Speedy007 wrote: »
    It's only a buyers market if you don't have a car to trade in. If you do, then you'll be very disappointed at how much a dealer will be prepared to give you for it!

If you take a look at a lot of the adverts from dealers on carzone they are stating that the cars for sale are straight sale only and wont take trade-ins. The garages are full of cars that they cant shift. But I've no sympathy for some of these dealers. The prices being quoted for some cars with the age and mileage on them is pure ridiculous.

The last few cars that I've had I have bought privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

AudiChris wrote: »
    Your friend went to several dealerships. They all offered similar money...

If they all offered similar money, do you think they all were looking to make MASSIVE profit off reselling the car, ignoring all elements of competition with other dealers?
    Or do you think that that's possibly just what the car is worth in the current climate?

Fair point. Is that a fair price for such a car though? No is the answer. He was buying another new vw and they basically wanted as much out of him as possible. These dealers just seem to want cash deals at the moment. What happened to the good old days of getting even a semi fair trade-in offer? I hope to see 'some' of these so called main dealers get a good swift boot over the next year or so. They are supposed to be in the business of buying and selling, not just selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Too heavy-handed.

No such thing. I once walked into a main dealer with no trade in and a bag of cash looking for a new car. The would hardly bid me the time of day, and when I told them their price wasn't good enough (and it was a few k off the best going) I was told to go elsewhere.

i'm sorry, but it is nice to see a little pain at times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

omega man wrote: »
    Fair point. Is that a fair price for such a car though? No is the answer. He was buying another new vw and they basically wanted as much out of him as possible. These dealers just seem to want cash deals at the moment. What happened to the good old days of getting even a semi fair trade-in offer? I hope to see 'some' of these so called main dealers get a good swift boot over the next year or so. They are supposed to be in the business of buying and selling, not just selling.

No it's not a fair price, but it's what the car is worth apparently. All dealers have to price a trade-in with the next owner in mind, and they all felt the next owner would pay €24k max and so offered €22ish.

It's not that they wanted to get as much out of him as possible, it's that they wanted to be able to price the trade-in keenly on their forecourt and not be the subject of another "look at this car and how overpriced it is, the dealer must be trying to fleece someone" thread.

In the current economic climate, either dealers price trade-ins lower and get slagged for not offering enough, or they price them high and ask for big money on the forecourt (and again get slagged off for being unrealistic). There's no winning at the moment.
    maidhc wrote: »
    No such thing. I once walked into a main dealer with no trade in and a bag of cash looking for a new car. The would hardly bid me the time of day, and when I told them their price wasn't good enough (and it was a few k off the best going) I was told to go elsewhere.

i'm sorry, but it is nice to see a little pain at times!

I feel that agrees with my point - you were heavy handed, they wouldn't deal with you.

I don't care how bad it gets, if someone's rude or ignorant to me, I won't want to deal with them. I certainly won't want to win them over or make the experience special for them.

If it gets bad enough that I have to entertain people who treat me disrespectfully or who try and bully me, I'll move job. Customers pay me for my expertise, their money can't buy my dignity.

Conversely, if someone's polite and respectful and realistic about what I can and can't do, I'll go out of my way to provide them with good pricing and great service.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar - and that applies to customers as much as salespeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I feel that agrees with my point - you were heavy handed, they wouldn't deal with you.

I wasn't, I was quite polite. The price was just wrong, i.e. a similar dealer was selling an identical car for four figures less. I suggested their price was wrong (without mentioning any specifics) and I was told that was the best they could do.

Main dealers are no more entitled to make a living than farmers/builders/businesspeople etc etc in tough times. If they can't hack it then they will (and should) go to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I don't care how bad it gets, if someone's rude or ignorant to me, I won't want to deal with them. I certainly won't want to win them over or make the experience special for them.

If it gets bad enough that I have to entertain people who treat me disrespectfully or who try and bully me, I'll move job. Customers pay me for my expertise, their money can't buy my dignity.

Conversely, if someone's polite and respectful and realistic about what I can and can't do, I'll go out of my way to provide them with good pricing and great service.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar - and that applies to customers as much as salespeople.

I don't know about that. If times were as hard as some dealers are crying about, you'd take a deal as money is money, and a straight sale is money directly in the pocket. I can't see how he could be so ignorant as to be insulting. Some people don't have much of a personality. If every sales guy took your sensitive attitude then no famous person in the whole world would be able to buy anything. Imagine Niaomi Cambell coming in to your garage - based on your comments above you would lock the door on her approach. (Wouldn't blame you!), but I'd bet she'd get pampered and waited upon and sold what she came for because think of the advertising! Money will wilt most principals! Maybe I don't flash enough of it. I'm polite, I still get ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I just put the car details on the vrt site and came back with a open market value of €18,610

I might offer €17,000 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Whats the market like in the UK, What sort of discount could you get from dealers? Im looking at 2004 Audi A3 for about the st£11K mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Was in a well known Fiat main dealer today where they had a 3 Door (Yuck!)OLD SHAPE 2005 Toyota Yaris on sale for (wait for it !) 10500 euro .A NEW one lists at 14175 so presumably you could pick one up for under 14k euro and a new Toyota Aygo is under the selling price of their scaldy gouged wheel trimmed Yaris.
    Now just to confirm that was a 2005, two thousand and five,THREE door, old shape Yaris for 10.5k euro and it was NOT a mint example by any means .I couldnt believe they would have a car in their showrooms with wheel trims in such a state but that disbelief pales into insignificance compared to the price.
    So we are reading about car prices in 'Freefall'?I think this sort of thing just shows that the dealers think that the average punter is an utter IDIOT .

SALESMAN:
    "Oh yes we are prepared to offer you a 3 grand trade in on your 93 Fiat Cinquecento against our Yaris so thats 7 and a half ...hey we'll call it 7 grand to change "

'GORMLESS' PUNTER :
    "Ah Jaysis youre jokin and all the other garages were only offering me 50 euro !Where do I sign?

PS An awful lot of dealers on Carzone etc seem to be blissfully unaware that there were meant to be ANY price decreases in July...

PPS Oh My GOD!Just checked on Carzone and there is ANOTHER dealer also selling a silver 3 door Yaris 2005 for 10.5k euro...his has 50k miles on the clock -at least the Fiat guys has only 18k miles -although it is on English plates ("No mystery about this cars history...")And there are two other dealers looking for 9950 for one -Seriously is there anybody in their right mind who would pay anything remotely this money for a 2005 3dr Yaris ???!!!Am I just being greedy ...expecting them to practically give it away ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rambo10

Joker wrote: »
    Can't say I'm feeling sorry for them. Second hand cars have been selling at inflated prices for too long anyway.

Good news!

your a sad person to have an attitude like that. if your smart you can always get a good deal and a good car. its their job to make profit,i agree there are waaaay too many dodgy car dealers out there but believe it or not, they aren't all robbers and gangsters and as for over inflated prices! there not trying to keep them, price----demand ring any bells with you?

Advertisement