Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another tyres question H or V rated

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but if a car comes fitted with V rated tyres is it ok to replace them with H rated tyres?

There is a big price difference but I'm wondering will the insurance company have a prob if there is an accident?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

H marked tyres are rated to 210 km/h (130mph), and V marked are rated to 240 km/h (149mph).
    What was the car fitted with by the manufacturer, and what's its maximum speed?

For insurance/NCT purposes, I'd be slow to fit tyres under the manufacturer's original specification, not to mention my own piece of mind in case anything did go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've often wondered about that.

My car was fitted with VR rated tyres from new, and there's no way on god's earth that it will reach 240km/h, or even 210km/h for that matter.

I've stuck with VR rate tyres myself, but I'm not entirely sure a) why they were fitted in the first place and b) what the consequences would be if I went for a lower speed rated tyre. Does it make any significant difference in price, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

alexmcred wrote: »
    I'm wondering will the insurance company have a prob if there is an accident?

Tyre rating will make no difference to your insurance company paying up if you have an accident, as long as the tyres are road legal you can have any tyre you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Insurance won't matter, you can put what you like on it, so long as the tyre is the right size for the wheel.
    But for your own sake don't get cheapo tyres. If you crash and kill yourself the €100 you saved won't be worth much!
    Speed rating isn't everything though - what car is it? What tyres has it and what are you getting?

Just looked on Fastfit.ie for prices. I recently put two new VR rated Bridgestone ER300's on my car and they cost €115 each. The HR version costs €113.28 and the WR version (up to 270km/h) is €121.47, so effectively virtually no difference in price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The car is a Golf GT 140 it has 205/55 R16 91 Michelin energy tyres on it at the mo. Was leaning towards keeping it original myself but they are €140 a pop. Don't mind spending money on Tyres for decent ones but the Michelins have worn vey quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Alun wrote: »
    Just looked on Fastfit.ie for prices. I recently put two new VR rated Bridgestone ER300's on my car and they cost €115 each. The HR version costs €113.28 and the WR version (up to 270km/h) is €121.47, so effectively virtually no difference in price.

Yeah the tyre guy I spoke to was mentioning the Bridgestone ER300's alright. He was also saying a H rated tyre would be fine on it.

The car is a Golf GT 140 it has 205/55 R16 91 Michelin energy tyres on it at the mo. Was leaning towards keeping it original myself but they are €140 a pop. Don't mind spending money on Tyres for decent ones but the Michelins have worn vey quickly.
    That's the same size as my car. I had Goodyear NCT5's on there from new, but found they wore very quickly. When I went to get them replaced last week the guy there recommended either Continental or Bridgestone for better wear, and I went for the Bridgestones in the end. Time will tell if that was a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

. Don't mind spending money on Tyres for decent ones but the Michelins have worn vey quickly.

Fair enough not wanting to may top money, but the fact that they wore out quicker than a cheaper brand does sort of mean that they were doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

To be honest, I'd expect to pay €140 for a good tyre on a 16" wheel. Still though, as mentioned you can drop in ratings and still have a good grippy tyre. Bridgestones are fairly good. Usually though Michelin's are hard compound. The Energy's mustn't be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement