Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet room cost

• 13-08-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Roughly how much should it cost for me to hire builders to turn my upstairs bathroom in a Dublin house into a wet room? The bathroom is about 5.5 feet long by 4.5 feet wide.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

A wet room is not just a matter of tiling. the floor will have to be graded to the outlet, the room should also be tanked.
    Depending on whether your floor is timbe or concrete this can vary considerably.
    Your best option would be to get a builder around to price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Timber floor. I don't want to get just any builder around, I want to find someone who's used to doing this and does it well. I also don't want to waste a builder's time unless I'm willing to pay his or her price for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi

1. as slig said make sure the room is tanked!!! do not install a wet room without the "tanking"!!!!!!

they are straightforward to install (the messy part taking all unnecessary crap out - and the time taken to choose your new tiles)

i reckon contact your local plumbing/bathroom suppliers, explain to them
    what you want to do, they'll have a list of names on hand that should be able to help you out.

in my experience a reputable shop has never given me details of a bad tradesman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

think 20k - min

OK, thanks. I'll get the bath re-enamelled instead so - €250.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 boots1

If the en-suite/bathroom in which the wetroom style shower to be fittted is on the ground floor, do you also need to tank underneath/behind the tiles? Thanks in advance, boots1

Incidentally, the amount sounds a little dear. A friend of mine has just had a two-storey house - about 900 square feet - completely remodelled for €40,000.

This entailed splaying two-foot-deep windows, taking out internal walls, re-flooring, re-wiring, re-plumbing, putting in central heating, plastering inside and out, putting in a complete new kitchen and two new shower rooms, and painting and decorating. A beautiful job, lovely builders and plumbers and electricians and plasterers and painters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

best bet is - get these guys to have a look . builders spend a lot of "wasted" time like this - they won't mind helping you put a cost on it .

What I "see" for 20k and what you want may well be total mis match

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Not sure if this is allowed here, but its a company that iv bin dealing with, they have not yet got back to me with a price for the work, but they have a good section on their site which shows you how there system works, and how the basics of a wet room work and what is required for them.

http://www.advancedwetrooms.co.uk/downloads2

i knew i had the link on my pc somewhere:rolleyes:

have a look a www.diywetroom.com/kit.htm

the 20K might be a bit on the expensive side, but it soon adds up
    and may prove to be very accurate

it all depends on the amount of preparation, quality of finish, say you want vileroy & boch toilets, double sinks, (go for all wall mounted), new roller top bath, inset TV at end of bath

low voltage gu10's

tiles....(mosaic on floor) counter tops the sky's the limit!!! and these will be the most expensive part of the refit, tile cost up to you, budget say 20euro per sq/yd for labour.

Choose your products, have all these priced before you get the builders in

• Advertisement

boots1 wrote: »
    If the en-suite/bathroom in which the wetroom style shower to be fittted is on the ground floor, do you also need to tank underneath/behind the tiles? Thanks in advance, boots1

yes imho, anywhere there's going to be that amount of water, it'll save
    any bother in the long run

I've really abandoned the whole idea; I might get an electric shower put in, but will continue to stand in my scummy bath in my draughty bathroom. If I want a better bathroom I can always move house ;}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2 litres of Mr Muscle and you're flying ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

muffler wrote: »
    2 litres of Mr Muscle and you're flying ;)

I think it actually says somewhere on the bottle that its not to be ingested :D.

There are other options instead of a wetroom, if you have room then install a shower tray, if not then at least get a bath that is comfortable to stand in. Prices for tiling vary hugely, you could probably get decent tiles for anything from 15 euro per sqm

Advertisement