Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stinky Car... need help

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I left the window down on my sisters car last Friday and the car got absolutely soaked over the weekend (remember the mad rain on Saturday!!), I only copped this on sunday. Anyway I put the dehumidifier in it on sunday and monday night and it has done a good job drying out the car but i am going to leave it in again over the weekend to try and dry it fully. However they car stinks now, it smells like dirty wet socks, Has anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of the smell, would febreeze do the trick? I was thiking of getting it valeted to try and help but to be honest its hardly worth doing this (its a 97 KA). Sister wont be home for 2 weeks so hopefully I can get it sorted before then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Get an onion and cut it in half, place it in the car and it helps to neutralise the damp smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put it in someones heated garage with the humidifier for several days to dry it out completely.
    Remove anything that's not bolted down, mats and such.
    Hopefully it's not in the vents.
    Febreeze it.
    Pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

I feel for you. I've been there before (open sunroof!)

As others have said, dry it out as much as possible. For me, it was constant Febreezing and just airing it out (leaving the doors & windows open; obviously not in the rain again) for a couple of days to get rid of the smells!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Will definetly chuck out the mats and try the onion trick, Would love to be able to air it out but with the weather lately its very hard to do. Keep them coming anyone else that has them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A friend of mine had a golf up until a few weeks ago. His sunroof started leaking a few months back and his car got soaked on the inside. He was using air fresheners to try get rid of the smell, but to be honest, i thought the car smelled worse with the mix of damp and air fresheners!

I think the lads have already covered the best ways of sorting it. The other option for drying it out (which i was told by a car salesman friend of mine), is to leave the car running with the heating turned on and the windows just slightly open. Leave it in your driveway and block it in with another car and just leave it there for a few hours....that will also help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I crashed into a bog once :D:D (a story in itself)

The only way to get the bog smell out of the car was to remove the underlay in the carpet as it holds water very well.

Strip the car an hang the carpets out. If you have to remove the underlay do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

barryfitz wrote: »
    I left the window down on my sisters car last Friday and the car got absolutely soaked over the weekend (remember the mad rain on Saturday!!), I only copped this on sunday. Anyway I put the dehumidifier in it on sunday and monday night and it has done a good job drying out the car but i am going to leave it in again over the weekend to try and dry it fully. However they car stinks now, it smells like dirty wet socks, Has anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of the smell, would febreeze do the trick? I was thiking of getting it valeted to try and help but to be honest its hardly worth doing this (its a 97 KA). Sister wont be home for 2 weeks so hopefully I can get it sorted before then.

take the seats out and the carpet, scrub, hoover dry and repeat, have a good noise round under the seats as you often find money as you might find uddles of sheeping water, you never know.

Advertisement