Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking in Oz - Licencing?

• 13-08-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

any one know what testing proceedure is in Oz?, thinking of moving there and will swop car for a bike. i dont have a bike licence here so wondering should i get one here or there. also whats insurance and tax like there on bikes? was thinking of a 600cc sports bike like a ninja,R1, GSXR etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hi boomboombazza

I know the Aussies have an agreement with Ireland so that you can just swap your Irish driving licence for an Aussie one.
    But that would be your car licence for a car licence. See Overseas drivers - licences Vic Roads

If you want to have a bike you probable will have to do the test here in Oz.

Where you need to do the test well depend in what state your in .

Try a few of these links

Victoria Roads and Traffic Authority

New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority

South Australia Roads and Traffic Authority

Queensland Roads and Traffic Authority

Westeren Australia Roads and Traffic Authority

Northern territory Roads and Traffic Authority

Tasmania Roads and Traffic Authority

Hope some of this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

I got my bike licence out in australia a few years ago. I am not sure if the rules have changed since but from what i remember , this is what i did.

I attended a training course, think it was 2 days. That was fun. Forget if that was mandatory or not. Thinking now that it was. I may have gotten something from that course which allowed me to legally ride on the road. ( didnt have a bike at the time so cant be sure )

Then i did a days advanced training which involved biking on an inside track.

You have to wait a certain period after you initial training course before you can do the test. Thinking 3 months.

Then you can do your test. I never actually owned a bike so the first time i was ever on public roads on a bike was actually during the test.
    I passed. You are then limited to certain bike cc engines but after a year you can ride anything you want.

So i got a full licence to drive any cc bike even though i only ever once rode on a public road, and that was during the test. ( the only other time i was on a public road was with a honda 50 when i was a kid )

So, its pretty easy to get the licence.

Advertisement