Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance Question!

• 13-08-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

Does anyone know if you can be eligable to claim Rent Allowance when you're in full-time college?

I'mm currently renting and I'll be going back to college in Sept.

Any advice appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Taken from citizens information website
    Are you eligible for Rent Supplement?
    You may be eligible for Rent Supplement if the accommodation is suitable for your needs, the rent is below the maximum rent level set for your county and you are:

Assessed by a Housing Authority as having a housing need or
    Regarded by a Housing Authority as being homeless or
    A tenant of accommodation provided under one of the Social Housing Schemes or
    Aged over 65 years or
    On certain disability payments. That is, Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Invalidity Pension and the equivalent payments from other EU countries or countries that Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement
    and

Pass a habitual residence test
    Pass a means test
    If you do not fit into one of the categories above you will not be eligible for Rent Supplement unless you are currently renting accommodation and have experienced a substantial change in circumstances beyond your control leading to you being unable to afford the rent. You must have been able to afford the rent from your own resources when you started to rent and you should have had a reasonable expectation that you would continue to be able to afford the rent into the future.

You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you

Are in full-time employment. However, if you are assessed as in need of housing under the Rental Accommodation Scheme and have been out of full-time employment for 12 months or more you may be entitled to the Supplement. (See ‘Employment and Rent Supplement’ below)
    Have refused a third offer of local authority accommodation in an 18-month period. In this case, you will not be eligible to claim Rent Supplement for 12 months
    Are leaving local authority housing without reasonable cause
    Are attending full-time education. However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

So unless you're a BTEA recipient the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 i-want-my-nic

Ah oh well!

Thanks for the reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

What about somebody doing a postgrad study? My sister is a postgrad so she's technically a student but she gets paid to do the work. She gets WAY less then minimun wage (research grant) so would she qualify? She is entitled to the medical card if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Again ,I think unless your sister is a BTEA recipient the answer is no. I'm not 100% on this so she should check this with her local CWO. Medical Cards (based on earnings/outgoings) are assessed seperately to Rent Supplement (assessed as to the criteria outlined above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

The grant is supposed to help students pay for their accommodation when attending college, I know it is not of much help when students do not have any other means of support. A part time job might help or maybe try and access financial help from the college you are attending, they do have a hardship fund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement