Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low power home server

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Price will go back down, it had to do with it being out of stock with the supplier which means that the price is back to normal.

Will be updated tomorrow, not sure how long the stock will last thoguh when it goes back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

I decided to take your advice last night and go for this server.
    Too much juice for 24/7, but the price was great, and I guess I should be able to set it to automatically switch on and off at sensible times.

Unfortunately when I went to elara this morning, the price had more than doubled from €160 to €360.

Does anyone know how the Opteron compares to the Xeon? Is the power stepping as good?

When you have installed it, could you post how much juice it uses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Ordered the xeon this evening. I'll get back to you with power info when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

hmm.. those are guzzlers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Wcool wrote: »
    When you have installed it, could you post how much juice it uses?
    Better than I expected actually. With the supplied 250gig HD, it manages it's light serving duties at 60-65 watts. It tops out at 100 watts at 100% processor use.

That's running windows home server, for which energy efficiency really isn't a priority - poor support for speedstep(only drops to 2ghz, even when totally idle), constant hd reads/writes etc. I'm sure a more efficient OS with proper speedstep could get it down to 40-50 watts.

For all it's drawbacks, I think I will get to like WHS. As well as it's bittorrenting and fileserving duties, it wakes up from hibernation at 4 in the afternoon, sends magic packets to wake up the pcs, and has them all updated and backed up by the time I get home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

That's not bad for a CPU like that, I hope that you use all that power that the CPU can give you.

Too much for what I need, I am now truely going in the opposite direction, even lower power:

http://www.norhtec.com/products/index.html

All of there products are extremely interesting, but the price is slightly to high, shipping is 70 USD as well.

Koolu is interesting, but also quite a hassle to get shipped:

http://koolu.com/Koolu-WE-Appliance/Works-Everywhere-Appliance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I'm looking to setup a low windows home server does anybody know it an Atom CPU is powerful enough to support WHS? Any advice on cases, motherboards etc would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

center15 wrote: »
    I'm looking to setup a low windows home server does anybody know it an Atom CPU is powerful enough to support WHS? Any advice on cases, motherboards etc would be appreciated.

it is. i'd go for the gigabyte atom board or something. wouldn't piss away a perfectly good pico-itx board on WHS

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it's only used for local sharing you could set to power save and then use magic packets to wake it up from the clients should be only a watt or two in standby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Advertisement