Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still new to teaching!

• 13-08-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

ok so ive been teaching a year and i have a couple of questions
    Firstly, do i have to complete the garda vetting again? completed it last summer and im not sure if i have to complete a new one for each academic year or for each new position.

Secondly, i have to regisiter with the union. i have been with the asti and was wondering is there any difference between the asti and tui, or do most teachers just go with whichever is most prominent in their school?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends which union has negotiating rights with your employer. If it's a VEC school it will be the TUI in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

thanks spurious......emmm can anybody answer my first question??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

Hi -

My information is that you'll need to complete the vetting form for each new position though not for each new academic year (assuming you're remaining in the same job).

I do moan a bit but I reckon it's the most inefficient system of all time. One should be issued with a cert upon completion of vetting which is reviewed every 3 years for example. Twould save a lot of faffing and time. Hope that clears it.

Great thanks for that.
    Definitely agree with you regarding how it should be reviewed every 3 years.....just more paperwork for us i guess!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Hi, its my second year teaching also, I completed the vetting form once and got a letter to confirm I had been approved. When I went to a new job this year I just brought this letter with me and it was accepted. No need to complete a new one each year.

AFAIK this is all you have to do anyway, if you are staying in the same job there is no need to get it done again. Could you imagine them having to assess every teacher every year!!!

• Advertisement

yeah i thought that if i was in the same job they wouldnt ask for another vetting form.

i actually can imagine some schools looking for a new vetting form every year!! .....sorry, im having a very bad week!! :(

Advertisement