Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'02 E46 - new clutch

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Got in the car the other day and the clutch felt really strange - really 'loose' for the first half of the press, then almost impossible to move. Happened all of a sudden - certainly not a gradual change.

Brought it to a reputable independent mechanic - he drove it to get a feel for what I was describing and then threw it up on the lift on the spot, even though he was busy (fair play to him). He removed and inspected the thing that drives the clutch (can't remember the name of it now) which he said was fine. After trying the clutch a couple of times while he was under the car he said it sounded 'wrong' and that he thought the whole clutch might need replacing. He checked in the pedal box too.

Anyway - the conclusion was that he reckons my clutch is shot and needs replacing. He said it was an automatically adjusting clutch and that it seems to have adjusted itself to the limit. He said roughly €900 parts, plus labour. A friend suggested I try a breakers yard for the parts...

Has anyone had a similar problem? How was it resolved? My car has 75k miles on it and has not been abused since I have owned it (last 3 years).

Any opinions / advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

bwardrop wrote: »
    Got in the car the other day and the clutch felt really strange - really 'loose' for the first half of the press, then almost impossible to move. Happened all of a sudden - certainly not a gradual change.

Brought it to a reputable independent mechanic and drove it to get a feel for what I was describing and then threw it up on the lift on the spot, even though he was busy (fair play to him). He removed and inspected the thing that drives the clutch (can't remember the name of it now) which he said was fine. After trying the clutch a couple of times while he was under the car he said it sounded 'wrong' and that he thought the whole clutch might need replacing. He checked in the pedal box too.

Anyway - the conclusion was that he reckons my clutch is shot and needs replacing. He said it was an automatically adjusting clutch and that it seems to have adjusted itself to the limit. He said roughly €900 parts, plus labour. A friend suggested I try a breakers yard for the parts...

Has anyone had a similar problem? How was it resolved? My car has 75k miles on it and has not been abused since I have owned it (last 3 years).

Any opinions / advice would be greatly appreciated

900 seems steep, get more quotes.

All the parts you will need are wearing parts so using 2nd hand is a false economy. Besides the majority of the cost in a clutch swap is labour. The engine needs to be separated from the gearbox to complete the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Price the parts, also see if the mechanic was going to use genuine BMW parts, it does sound a bit steep.

The fact that the clutch is self adjusting should only effect the cost of the part, not the cost of replacing it.

I believe you need a special tool if you want to take off a self adjusting clutch and re-fit it, but that shouldn't be needed here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I may be wrong but I think the flywheel is usually replaced with the clutch on the E46. Could explain the steepitude of the parts price.

On the other hand, the clutch wouldn't go overnight. More likely something between the pedal and the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 P D

got my clutch replaced on my 02 325 for alot less , didntgo with any BMW oem parts crap but with a Sachs clutch which is actually the same , was about 650 / 700 , garage in ranelagh - v good people , pm for details

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a lot less labour involved in a rear wheel drive car. I'd say the price of the clutch kit is the killer. Buy a cheap aftermarket clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

P D wrote: »
    got my clutch replaced on my 02 325 for alot less , didntgo with any BMW oem parts crap but with a Sachs clutch which is actually the same , was about 650 / 700 , garage in ranelagh - v good people , pm for details

Sachs clutches are actually reconditioned. Go with LuK for guaranteed OEM equipment...

Advertisement